Buy one Amtrak sleeping accommodation, get one free with new promotion
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Amtrak is running a new BOGO promotion on sleeper cars, where you’ll get one roomette or bedroom ticket after buying one. The promotion is available from now through October 14, with travel from November 11 through April 8, 2020.
Roomettes and bedrooms include bed linens, pillows, temperature controls, lights, electrical outlets and a fold-down table. You’ll also have access to a sleeping car attendant who will assist with meals, turndown service and luggage. If booking on the Capitol Limited, Cardinal, City of New Orleans, Crescent, Lake Shore Limited or Silver Meteor you’ll experience flexible dining service, which is exclusive to these routes.
To take advantage of this sale, make sure you book your ticket at Amtrak.com/flashsale, or by using the discount code V550 when booking.
The offer is valid for one free companion rail fare traveling in the same roomette, bedroom or family bedroom with the purchase of a full-fare ticket. Both passengers must travel together in the same room and on the same reservation. Note that there are numerous blackout days, including Thanksgiving, New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day. Also note that the Auto Train is not included in this promotion.
Related: The best credit cards for train travel purchases
If you decide to take advantage of the promotion, make sure you pay for the tickets with a travel rewards card like the Chase Sapphire Reserve, which is the best card for general travel purchases and offers 3X points on train travel. If you’re a frequent Amtrak traveler, you may also want to consider the Amtrak Guest Rewards World Mastercard.
The information for the Amtrak Guest Rewards card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Amtrak has made some big announcements recently, from unveiling the new interiors of the new high-speed Acela trains and announcing improvements to the long-distance cars departing from New York. Amtrak also recently launched nonstop Acela service between New York and Washington.
TPG’s Katie Genter reviewed an Amtrak roomette from Portland, Oregon, to Chicago, Illinois and enjoyed having access to a shower on the train, comfortable seats that lie-flat and a quiet cabin. However, she didn’t appreciate how tight the upper bunk was.
Make sure to check out our ultimate guide to Amtrak Guest Rewards for more on how to earn and burn points with the loyalty program.
Featured image courtesy of Amtrak
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.