Buy Marriott points for less than 0.9 cents each through this new promotion
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available.
Marriott Bonvoy has launched just its third buy-points promotion since the Marriott Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest programs merger. And it’s a pretty good deal. You can save 30% when buying Marriott points, dropping the price to just 0.875 cents per point. This promotion will run more than a month, ending Sunday, Dec. 22 at 11:59 p.m. ET.
Here’s how the pricing breaks down during this promotion:
- Buy 1,000 points for 1.25 cents per point
- Buy 2,000-50,000 points at a 25% discount for 0.875 cents per point
If you want to max out this bonus, you can buy two batches of 50,000 points each for $438:
TPG recently dropped the valuation of Marriott Bonvoy points from 0.9 cents per point down to 0.8 cents per point. While that’s not a significant drop, the drop stems from frustration with the program. For example, the program just introduced peak and off-peak pricing — which reduces the high-end redemption value at top category hotels.
That said, while 0.875 is above TPG valuations, it’s still a solid rate for those who need to top off their account with just enough points to complete a points reservation.
How to Buy Points
- Visit Marriott’s Buy Points link.
- Enter your first name, last name, Marriott Bonvoy member number and email address to log in.
- Select the number of points you want to purchase.
- Enter your credit card information and billing address
- Check the box to agree to the terms and conditions and click “pay now.”
Here are some of the important terms and conditions to keep in mind:
- You can’t buy points within 30 days of enrolling a new Marriott Bonvoy account. Members who signed up in the past 90 days must have qualifying activity to purchase points.
- Members are only allowed to buy and/or receive as a gift 100,000 points per year.
- Points may be purchased in increments of 1,000.
- The 30% discount ends at 11:59 p.m. ET on Dec. 22, 2019
Which credit card should you use?
The terms note that “purchasing points using a Marriott Bonvoy or The Ritz-Carlton credit card will result in earning one point per dollar spent on these transactions.” These cards are supposed to earn 2x points per dollar spent on general purchases, so earning just 1x point per dollar spent would be quite strange. Instead, I assume that this note is trying to indicate that there’s no category bonus available. That’s pretty common for buying points. Since the purchase is processed by Points.com, you won’t earn a travel category bonus from this purchase on most cards.
While Points.com purchases on the Ink Business Preferred Credit Card have previously earned 3x points (on the first $150,000 in combined purchases each account anniversary), recent purchases have only earned 1x point per dollar.
Good options to consider are The Blue Business®️ Plus Credit Card from American Express 2x Membership Rewards points (on the first $50,000 per year; then 1x thereafter) for a return of 4%, or the Chase Freedom Unlimited‘s 1.5% cash back.
Other ways to grow your Marriott balance
This promo is a good way to top off your account with as little as 2,000 points. But, if you’re looking for a lot more Marriott Bonvoy points, you’re going to want to turn to a Marriott credit card. Here are the top offers currently available:
- Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card: For a limited time, earn 100,000 Bonus Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
- Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card: Earn 75,000 bonus points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first three months of account opening. Terms apply.
- Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card: 75,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Terms apply.
- Marriott Bonvoy Bold Credit Card: For a limited time, earn 50,000 points after you spend $2,000 on purchases in the first three months from account opening.
Featured photo courtesy of Marriott
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3 points per dollar on the first $150,000 in combined spending on travel, shipping purchases, internet, cable and phone services, and advertising purchases made with social media sites and search engines.
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Earn 3 points per $1 on the first $150,000 spent on travel and select business categories each account anniversary year
- Earn 1 point per $1 on all other purchases–with no limit to the amount you can earn
- Points are worth 25% more when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards
- Redeem points for travel, cash back, gift cards and more – your points don't expire as long as your account is open
- No foreign transaction fees
- Employee cards at no additional cost
- $95 Annual Fee