Great Deal: Purchase Lifemiles With up to a 135% Bonus
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Lifemiles is Colombian-based airline Avianca’s mileage program. It’s really made itself known by being the wholesaler of cheap Star Alliance miles and award tickets. And now it’s back with another offer: Now through May 30, buy miles with up to a 135% bonus. If you were targeted for the full 135% bonus, the bonus drops the price down to 1.47 cents per mile.
Even if you weren’t targeted for the 135% bonus, the terms and conditions of the offer seem to indicate that all members can get a 125% bonus. At this bonus level, the price for buying miles is just 1.47 cents per mile — still below TPG’s valuation of 1.7 cents per Lifemile.
Here’s how the bonus was structured for me:
- Buy 1,000 – 50,000 miles, get a 100% bonus (1.65 cents each)
- Buy 51,000 – 100,000 miles, get a 115% bonus (1.53 cents each)
- Buy 101,000 – 200,000 miles, get a 125% bonus (1.47 cents each)
If you’re looking for the absolute cheapest mileage cost, Avianca’s “Club Lifemiles” monthly subscription plan still gives members a chance to buy miles as cheap as 1.39 cents per mile.
For a while, Lifemiles were so difficult to actually redeem that we didn’t recommend it to readers. Since then, the program has made some notable improvements, but there can still be hassles. That said, the hassles can be worth it for the hidden gems in the program, such as domestic United flights starting at just 7,500 miles one-way. Lifemiles lands #1 on our list of most undervalued airline loyalty programs. Plus, if you need to top off your account, Lifemiles are now a transfer partner of Citi ThankYou Points.
One of the best benefits of Lifemiles is that it doesn’t pass along fuel surcharges, making it an excellent way of booking Lufthansa first class for cheap. At 1.47 cents per mile and an award cost of 87,000 miles one-way, a Lufthansa first class flight between the US and Germany only costs $1,279. Taxes and fees from the US to Germany only add another $25.
H/T: Loyalty Lobby
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees