Great Deal: Purchase Lifemiles With up to a 135% Bonus
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Lifemiles is Colombian-based airline Avianca’s mileage program. It’s really made itself known by being the wholesaler of cheap Star Alliance miles and award tickets. And now it’s back with another offer: Now through May 30, buy miles with up to a 135% bonus. If you were targeted for the full 135% bonus, the bonus drops the price down to 1.47 cents per mile.
Even if you weren’t targeted for the 135% bonus, the terms and conditions of the offer seem to indicate that all members can get a 125% bonus. At this bonus level, the price for buying miles is just 1.47 cents per mile — still below TPG’s valuation of 1.7 cents per Lifemile.
Here’s how the bonus was structured for me:
- Buy 1,000 – 50,000 miles, get a 100% bonus (1.65 cents each)
- Buy 51,000 – 100,000 miles, get a 115% bonus (1.53 cents each)
- Buy 101,000 – 200,000 miles, get a 125% bonus (1.47 cents each)
If you’re looking for the absolute cheapest mileage cost, Avianca’s “Club Lifemiles” monthly subscription plan still gives members a chance to buy miles as cheap as 1.39 cents per mile.
For a while, Lifemiles were so difficult to actually redeem that we didn’t recommend it to readers. Since then, the program has made some notable improvements, but there can still be hassles. That said, the hassles can be worth it for the hidden gems in the program, such as domestic United flights starting at just 7,500 miles one-way. Lifemiles lands #1 on our list of most undervalued airline loyalty programs. Plus, if you need to top off your account, Lifemiles are now a transfer partner of Citi ThankYou Points.
One of the best benefits of Lifemiles is that it doesn’t pass along fuel surcharges, making it an excellent way of booking Lufthansa first class for cheap. At 1.47 cents per mile and an award cost of 87,000 miles one-way, a Lufthansa first class flight between the US and Germany only costs $1,279. Taxes and fees from the US to Germany only add another $25.
H/T: Loyalty Lobby
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No delivery fees for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with a DashPass subscription from DoorDash -over a $100 value. Activate with your Chase Sapphire card by December 31, 2021.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.