Need to Top off Your Avios Account? Buy Points With up to a 45% Bonus
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
The points and miles world has been abuzz over Iberia for the last two weeks. In case you missed it, Iberia launched a promotion where Iberia Plus members could earn 9,000 Avios per flight booked, up to a maximum of 90,000 bonus Avios. An Iberia spokesperson confirmed that the bonus Avios would be earned even if passengers didn’t take the flights.
After great gnashing of teeth, the bonus Avios finally started posting to accounts this week, and TPG has plenty of recommendations about how you can spend those points.
But, what if these bonus Avios leave you short of your award goals? In a timely promotion, Iberia is running a buy-points promotion now through July 15 giving members a chance to get up to 45% bonus points when buying Avios. If you buy at least 100,000 Avios, you’ll effectively purchase points at 1.46 cents each.
TPG doesn’t maintain a valuation for Iberia Avios. But, unlike the bonus points through the 90k promotion, these purchased points can be transferred 1:1 to British Airways Avios — which TPG values at 1.5 cents each. With that said, I wouldn’t recommend speculatively buying Avios through this promotion. Make sure you have a plan for spending Avios.
The regular price for buying Iberia Avios starts as high as 2.7 Euro cents per point, which is currently 3.17 US$ cents per Avios. But, you can drop that price to just 1.24 Euro cents per point (1.46 US$ cents) with this promotion. You’ll get the maximum 45% bonus when you purchase at least 100,000 Avios. Here is the breakdown of this promotion’s bonus chart:
- 2,000 to 15,000 points: 20% bonus
- 20,000 to 35,000 points: 30% bonus
- 40,000 to 90,000 points: 35% bonus
- 100,000+ points: 45% bonus
However, the purchase rate varies depending on how many Avios you buy. To save you the math, here are all of your options for buying points with this promotion:
|Purchase Rate||Bonus Avios||Total Avios||Cost (Euros)||Cost (USD)||US$ Cents Per Avios|
How to Buy Iberia Avios
To take advantage of the promotion, follow these steps:
- Log into your Iberia Plus account.
- At the top of the webpage, select “Buying or transferring Avios” through the Iberia Plus menu. You can also try this link.
- Select Purchase next to “All Iberia Plus customers.”
- Select the number of Avios you’d like to buy.
- Add your credit card details.
- Review the information, check the box to agree to the Terms and Conditions and click Pay Now to finalize the purchase.
There’s a standard limit of 100,000 purchased Avios per calendar year, per account. However, this limit is being elevated to a maximum of 200,000 Avios per calendar year for this promotion.
Which Credit Card to Use
First, as the purchase currency is Euro, it’s important that you choose a credit card with no foreign transaction fees. Since this purchase is processed by Points.com, these purchases likely will not code as travel. So, you won’t get 3x from the Chase Sapphire Reserve or the Citi Premier® Card. With one exception: we’ve noticed that the Ink Business Preferred card has earned 3x points per dollar spent on Points.com. If you don’t have that card yet, you’ll want to use the best non-bonus category credit card for your situation.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3 points per dollar on the first $150,000 in combined spending on travel, shipping purchases, internet, cable and phone services, and advertising purchases made with social media sites and search engines.
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 100k bonus points after you spend $15,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 cash back or $1,250 toward travel when redeemed through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Earn 3 points per $1 on the first $150,000 spent on travel and select business categories each account anniversary year. Earn 1 point per $1 on all other purchases
- With Fraud Protection your card transactions will be monitored for possible signs of fraudulent activity using real-time fraud monitoring
- With Zero Liability you won't be held responsible for unauthorized charges made with your card or account information
- Redeem points for cash back, gift cards, travel and more - your points don't expire as long as your account is open
- Points are worth 25% more when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Purchase Protection covers your new purchases for 120 days against damage or theft up to $10,000 per claim and $50,000 per account.