British Airways Says Info From 380,000 Credit Cards Stolen in Hack
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
British Airways said Thursday that payment information from at least 380,000 customer credit cards was stolen in a hack early this summer. The data breach occurred on the airline’s website and mobile app.
Stolen data included customers’ “personal and financial details,” the airline said in a statement. The hackers didn’t obtain any passport or travel information.
“We are deeply sorry for the disruption that this criminal activity has caused,” British Airways CEO Alex Cruz said. “We take the protection of our customers’ data very seriously.”
BA said the breach spanned from Aug. 21 to Sept. 5 and has since been resolved. The airline also said it is in contact with all affected customers, but it advises anyone who believes they were impacted “to contact their banks or credit card providers and follow their recommended advice.”
The airline said it notified the police and “relevant authorities,” and that its website is working normally again.
Featured image by Stuart Bailey / British Airways.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.