British Airways: Brexit Outcome Won’t Affect Our Flights
British Airways announced today that the airline would “continue to fly all our customers to their destinations and operate a normal schedule whether a deal is agreed or if the UK leaves the EU with no deal in place.” Codeshare flights would also continue operating per usual, as well as new European routes.
On the surface, the impending Brexit on March 29 may seem like a political change-up that doesn’t affect the average American very much. But the impact of Great Britain leaving the European Union has far-reaching impact for a number of industries, including commercial aviation.
A no-deal Brexit could result in “chaos,” higher fares, immigration disputes and delays. An industry group has cautioned that up to five million passenger tickets might be canceled, since the UK would be limited to a capped number of flights for 2019, severely stunting airline operations and revenue. France has invested $56.8 million in its airports in light of complications from a no-deal Brexit scenario. British low-cost carrier Ryanair has struggled mightily in the face of a looming Brexit, losing $22 million in Q3 2018, although the airline did secure approval for continued operations under Ryanair UK.
Even the littlest details have officials scrambling for a worst-case scenario: the rubber gloves UK security officers use for screening all come from the EU, and there may be a national shortage if a deal can’t be struck before the upcoming deadline.
But not all is doom and gloom: shortly after the Brexit process is complete, travelers from five countries, including the US, will get “skip the line” privileges bypassing London’s notoriously lengthy immigration lines at airports for expedited entry.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.