British Airways: Brexit Outcome Won’t Affect Our Flights
British Airways announced today that the airline would “continue to fly all our customers to their destinations and operate a normal schedule whether a deal is agreed or if the UK leaves the EU with no deal in place.” Codeshare flights would also continue operating per usual, as well as new European routes.
On the surface, the impending Brexit on March 29 may seem like a political change-up that doesn’t affect the average American very much. But the impact of Great Britain leaving the European Union has far-reaching impact for a number of industries, including commercial aviation.
A no-deal Brexit could result in “chaos,” higher fares, immigration disputes and delays. An industry group has cautioned that up to five million passenger tickets might be canceled, since the UK would be limited to a capped number of flights for 2019, severely stunting airline operations and revenue. France has invested $56.8 million in its airports in light of complications from a no-deal Brexit scenario. British low-cost carrier Ryanair has struggled mightily in the face of a looming Brexit, losing $22 million in Q3 2018, although the airline did secure approval for continued operations under Ryanair UK.
Even the littlest details have officials scrambling for a worst-case scenario: the rubber gloves UK security officers use for screening all come from the EU, and there may be a national shortage if a deal can’t be struck before the upcoming deadline.
But not all is doom and gloom: shortly after the Brexit process is complete, travelers from five countries, including the US, will get “skip the line” privileges bypassing London’s notoriously lengthy immigration lines at airports for expedited entry.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees