Officials Clear New ‘Ryanair UK’ for Post-Brexit Flight Operations
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In an effort to ensure it can continue to operate flights in the United Kingdom post-Brexit, Ryanair has created a new airline, Ryanair UK. The ultra-low-cost carrier’s new arm has received its air operating certificate (AOC) from the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) in the UK to ensure that the airline can continue to operate flights within the UK and to destinations in the European Union in a post-Brexit world.
Ryanair made it clear early on in the process that it had concerns about what would happen to the aviation industry if a “no deal Brexit” were to happen. If the UK leaves the EU without a deal in place, the Dublin-based airline didn’t see a clear legal path to continue operations in the UK.
Currently all EU-based carriers and those in the “common travel area” — which includes Morocco, Iceland, Norway and Switzerland — are allowed to fly to any country in the EU under the Open Skies regulations governing the EU.
Ryanair isn’t the first airline to take this regulatory step with the looming March 2019 Brexit deadline. The budget airline’s competitor Wizz Air has also secured a AOC from the UK CAA. UK-based EasyJet took another route, setting up a new company based in Vienna. EasyJet received an EU ACC to enable it to continue to operate flights within the EU.
Dutch national carrier KLM has stated that with or without a deal it would continue operating to the UK under a 1960s bilateral agreement between the Netherlands and the UK that established mutual flying rights between the two countries.
The EU has stated that there shouldn’t be any disruption to flights should the UK exit the EU without specific deals in place. This latest move by Ryanair makes it clear the airlines are positioning themselves to be able to continue operations with or without a deal.
Featured Image by Ryanair.
H/T: The Guardian
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees