With Brexit Coming, London Heathrow Officials Are Worried About…Rubber Gloves?
Two words: rubber gloves.
Yes — in preparation of a potential no-deal Brexit, London Heathrow Airport (LHR) staff have been stocking up all the rubber gloves and explosive detector swabs they can to ensure regular security checks on passengers through the transition. Those pieces of screening equipment ship from the EU.
As the March 29 deadline for the UK to leave the EU inches closer, LHR, which earned the top spot for the most connected airport in the world back in September, continues to see up to 200,000 passengers a day. If a no-deal Brexit passes, these air travelers could be looking at higher fares, immigration disputes and longer wait times to enter and exit the country.
So, as a measure to ensure that travel at the airport continues to run as smoothly as possible, LHR officials have been stockpiling essential materials produced outside of the UK for security checks such as rubber gloves and explosive detector swabs.
“Some of the other things that are more urgent are the rubber gloves that security officers wear when they are searching somebody. They come from the EU and if you don’t have them, you can’t search people,” LHR chief executive John Holland-Kaye said to The Guardian. “The fabric swabs that we use for detection also come from the EU, and there isn’t a UK supplier, so we need to make sure we’ve got a good stockpile of those. We’ve been working on that for some time.”
Despite the setbacks a no-deal Brexit might cause for the airport, Holland-Kaye has expressed confidence that flights would continue as usual and that there wouldn’t be stoppages on the importing and exporting of foreign goods.
Featured photo by Bojan89/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees