US, Canadian Travelers Will Have Expedited Immigration Access at Heathrow
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As Brexit nears, international travelers from five special countries will officially be allowed to “jump the queue” at UK airports by using expedited security and immigrations lines, a privilege previously reserved only for European Union travelers. Chancellor of the Exchequer Philip Hammond announced the measure Monday as part of the annual budget.
Passport holders from the United States and Canada, along with citizens of Australia, New Zealand and Japan, most likely won’t be eligible to utilize the electronic passport gates before summer 2019. The move will drastically reduce the amount of time it takes for travelers from these nations to pass through airport lines. Right now, all non-EU citizens have to go through standard immigration and security, which can be notoriously time consuming with wait times of more than two hours.
The “VIP passport access,” as it were, is a faint silver lining to an otherwise-chaotic Brexit negotiation process, which has heavy implications across all walks of daily British life including commercial air travel. Meanwhile, eligible UK citizens have been applying for second passports from Ireland, Germany and other EU countries in an effort to maintain some European Union benefits post-Brexit. In a worst-case scenario, British travelers may end up being considered “third country nationals” if no Brexit deal is reached, should their passports expire while abroad after Brexit goes into effect.
Featured photo by goodmoments/Getty Images
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.