US, Canadian Travelers Will Have Expedited Immigration Access at Heathrow
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As Brexit nears, international travelers from five special countries will officially be allowed to “jump the queue” at UK airports by using expedited security and immigrations lines, a privilege previously reserved only for European Union travelers. Chancellor of the Exchequer Philip Hammond announced the measure Monday as part of the annual budget.
Passport holders from the United States and Canada, along with citizens of Australia, New Zealand and Japan, most likely won’t be eligible to utilize the electronic passport gates before summer 2019. The move will drastically reduce the amount of time it takes for travelers from these nations to pass through airport lines. Right now, all non-EU citizens have to go through standard immigration and security, which can be notoriously time consuming with wait times of more than two hours.
The “VIP passport access,” as it were, is a faint silver lining to an otherwise-chaotic Brexit negotiation process, which has heavy implications across all walks of daily British life including commercial air travel. Meanwhile, eligible UK citizens have been applying for second passports from Ireland, Germany and other EU countries in an effort to maintain some European Union benefits post-Brexit. In a worst-case scenario, British travelers may end up being considered “third country nationals” if no Brexit deal is reached, should their passports expire while abroad after Brexit goes into effect.
Featured photo by goodmoments/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees