‘Horrendous’ Long Lines Worsen for Passengers at London Heathrow
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Visitors from outside the European Union are continuing to have to wait in abnormally long lines — often more than two hours — at London’s Heathrow Airport to have their passports processed.
New data from Virgin Atlantic published Monday by the BBC shows that for 30 days out of the 31 in July, the airport’s border force missed its self-imposed target of a 45-minute wait or less for 95% of the visitors from outside the European Union. Virgin says the waits have “frustrated” passengers.
“At a time when the UK needs to show the world it is open for business, the government and Border Force need to provide a great first impression for every visitor every time,” Virgin Atlantic CEO Craig Kreeger said.
Last week, British Airways CEO Alex Cruz expressed similar sentiments about the long wait times at LHR, noting that “two-hour queues are fast becoming the norm.”
“What kind of message does this send, as we try to build links outside the EU?” Cruz wrote in an op-ed to the Times of London, adding that the wait times at LHR immigration were worse than any other airport in Europe.
Despite the UK government saying it would deploy 200 extra border officers to help mitigate the long lines, passengers wait times are still backed up this summer (including one day when the border officers “abandoned” their posts to watch the World Cup). The worst day so far was July 6, according to Virgin Atlantic’s data, with visitors forced to wait two hours and 36 minutes that day to have their passports processed.
Michael Klein, an art dealer from New York who frequently travels through Heathrow, told the BBC that he has waited in passport lines for more than two hours on three different trips in the past month, calling the experience “just horrendous.”
Heathrow’s CEO John Holland-Kaye has asked the UK’s Home Office to allow visitors from “low risk countries” like the US to be allowed to use electronic gates to have their passports processed.
But the UK government says that for the most part, passengers arriving from outside the EU are processed within the 45-minute mark.
“The vast majority of people who arrive at Heathrow get through the border within our service standards,” the Home Office said in a statement. “But we understand the frustration for those who have experienced longer waits and remain fully committed to working with our partners to reduce waiting times as far as is possible.”
Featured image by Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.