Breeze trims New Orleans flights as delta variant and Hurricane Ida slash demand
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Breeze Airways made its first permanent route cut this week, and reduced frequencies of several other routes, just three months after the airline began flying passengers.
The cuts, which follow several temporary reductions the airline made in July, were first noticed by Twitter user @IshrionA.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
Most of the affected flights are out of New Orleans (MSY), one of Breeze’s four focus cities, although the airline also reduced frequencies on several flights out of Tampa (TPA), another focus city.
The airline’s first permanent route cut will come Sept. 5, when it will stop flying between New Orleans and Huntsville, Alabama (HSV).
Additionally, Breeze will also reduce frequencies on the following routes, dropping from four weekly flights to two:
- New Orleans-Oklahoma City (OKC)
- New Orleans-Bentonville, Arkansas (XNA)
- New Orleans-Tulsa (TUL)
The following point-to-point routes are reduced from three weekly flights to two, aside from during weeks with major holidays this fall and winter:
- Tampa-Oklahoma City
A spokesperson for Breeze confirmed the cuts, noting that they were made in response to decreased bookings due to the delta variant and rise in covid cases, as well as the impact of Hurricane Ida in the New Orleans market.
Breeze, which was previously known by its codename, “Moxy,” was first announced by JetBlue founder David Neeleman in 2018. The airline began service in May 2021 following several months of delays.
The carrier was launched with a plan to focus on point-to-point routes between small, underserved cities. Eschewing hubs, and generally avoiding competition, Neeleman — who also founded Brazilian airline Azul and was previously a co-owner of TAP Portugal — has said the idea is to run a low-cost, nimble operation connecting city pairs that might not come top of mind.
Neeleman has previously suggested that this nimbleness would allow Breeze to rapidly adjust its schedule and try new routes based on demand and booking trends.
The downside, of course, is that passengers booking far ahead of time could see their flights changed or even canceled.
Featured photo by David Slotnick/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees