Breaking: A ‘Terrible Fire’ Rages at the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of Paris’ most iconic and beloved landmarks caught fire Monday evening local time.
Around 6:30pm in Paris, the fire alarm went off at the Notre Dame Cathedral. Pictures and videos shared on social media showed the cathedral ablaze.
— Solveig Godeluck (@Solwii) April 15, 2019
Firefighters confirmed to Reuters that a “major operation” to battle the flames and columns of smoke was in progress. The total scale of the blaze is still unclear. Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo called the situation a “terrible fire” in a tweet.
Un terrible incendie est en cours à la cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris. Les @PompiersParis sont en train de tenter de maîtriser les flammes. Nous sommes mobilisés sur place en lien étroit avec le @dioceseParis. J’invite chacune et chacun à respecter le périmètre de sécurité. pic.twitter.com/9X0tGtlgba
— Anne Hidalgo (@Anne_Hidalgo) April 15, 2019
A spokesperson from Paris City Hall said on Twitter that the area around the fire was being cleared.
— Liam Taylor (@LiamMTaylor) April 15, 2019
And a spokesperson for the cathedral, André Finot, told The New York Times in a telephone interview that the spire had caught fire, though the cause remains unknown.
Notre Dame de Paris Cathedral was completed in 1345 and is one of the most popular tourist attractions in the City of Light. Renovation work has been underway at the church.
UPDATE: The church’s iconic spire has become completely engulfed in flames and has collapsed:
— Patrick Galey (@patrickgaley) April 15, 2019
This is a breaking news story. We will update this post as more information becomes available.
Feature photo by FRANCOIS GUILLOT/AFP/Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.