This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of Paris’ most iconic and beloved landmarks caught fire Monday evening local time.
Around 6:30pm in Paris, the fire alarm went off at the Notre Dame Cathedral. Pictures and videos shared on social media showed the cathedral ablaze.
— Solveig Godeluck (@Solwii) April 15, 2019
Firefighters confirmed to Reuters that a “major operation” to battle the flames and columns of smoke was in progress. The total scale of the blaze is still unclear. Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo called the situation a “terrible fire” in a tweet.
Un terrible incendie est en cours à la cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris. Les @PompiersParis sont en train de tenter de maîtriser les flammes. Nous sommes mobilisés sur place en lien étroit avec le @dioceseParis. J’invite chacune et chacun à respecter le périmètre de sécurité. pic.twitter.com/9X0tGtlgba
— Anne Hidalgo (@Anne_Hidalgo) April 15, 2019
A spokesperson from Paris City Hall said on Twitter that the area around the fire was being cleared.
— Liam Taylor (@LiamMTaylor) April 15, 2019
And a spokesperson for the cathedral, André Finot, told The New York Times in a telephone interview that the spire had caught fire, though the cause remains unknown.
Notre Dame de Paris Cathedral was completed in 1345 and is one of the most popular tourist attractions in the City of Light. Renovation work has been underway at the church.
UPDATE: The church’s iconic spire has become completely engulfed in flames and has collapsed:
— Patrick Galey (@patrickgaley) April 15, 2019
This is a breaking news story. We will update this post as more information becomes available.
Feature photo by FRANCOIS GUILLOT/AFP/Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees