Morocco bans all incoming flights for 2 weeks due to Omicron
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Morocco’s Foreign Ministry announced today that it is banning all air travel to the country for two weeks beginning on Monday. The action is in response to the spread of the new Omicron variant of the COVID-19 virus.
In a tweet, the ministry indicated that it was making the move to “preserve the achievements realized by Morocco in the fight against the pandemic, and to protect the health of citizens.”
The government said it would evaluate the move on a regular basis and will make “adjustments if necessary.”
The Omicron variant was identified in South Africa on Nov. 24. By Nov. 26, the World Health Organization had designated it as a “variant of concern.”
In the last 24 hours, the U.K. as well as Italy, Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany have confirmed cases of the variant.
Yesterday, Israel announced that it was closing borders to foreign visitors in response to Omicron.
Featured image by ESB Professional / Shutterstock.com.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.