Boost your rewards by using PayPal with your credit cards
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Using PayPal doesn’t mean you can’t earn credit card rewards along the way. Several card issuers offer bonuses for using their cards with PayPal. And, PayPal offers its own branded cards that allow cardholders to earn cash back or points that can be redeemed for gift cards and travel vouchers. TPG takes a look on how you can maximize your credit card rewards when using PayPal.
Want more credit card news and advice from TPG? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
Do I earn rewards using my credit card on PayPal?
Using your credit card to earn rewards with PayPal is easy. Just link your card to your PayPal account at the website and select the card when making payments. You’ll earn rewards as you would with any other purchase. Several major retailers accept PayPal payments in-store and online including, Best Buy, Bed Bath & Beyond, Etsy, Brookstone, Home Depot and IKEA.
PayPal users can add multiple cards to their accounts, making it easy to rack up rewards from a number of programs at once. Any Visa, Mastercard, Discover or American Express card with a registered billing address can be used with PayPal.
Best credit cards to use with PayPal
Sometimes you’ll be able to earn more by using your credit card in conjunction with PayPal. Issuers like Chase, Citibank and Discover have offered bonus rewards promotions on PayPal payments in the past year.
Discover made PayPal a 5% cash back category for Discover it Cash Back holders from June through September in 2019.
Like the Discover it Cash Back card, the Chase Freedom card (No longer open to new applicants) offers 5% cash back in select rotating quarterly bonus categories (on the first $1,500 in purchases each quarter you activate). Last year, it made PayPal one of those categories.
Typically, non-bonus categories earn 1% cash back with the Chase Freedom card.
The information for the Chase Freedom has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Last summer, Citi offered some cardholders a $20 statement credit for spending $120 on PayPal purchases.
Both Discover and Chase make it easy to pay with rewards when checking out with PayPal.
Branded PayPal credit cards
PayPal offers two branded credit card options: A cash back Mastercard and a rewards Mastercard. PayPal credit cards are issued by Synchrony Bank.
PayPal’s Cashback Mastercard awards 2% cash back on all purchases and doesn’t charge an annual fee. To apply for the card, you must have a PayPal account.
The PayPal Extras Mastercard awards 3 points per dollar spent at gas stations and restaurants, and 2 points per dollar on PayPal and Ebay purchases. Other purchases earn 1 point per dollar spent. Points can be redeemed for gift cards, travel vouchers and cash back.
Does PayPal or my bank charge a fee for using a credit card?
PayPal doesn’t charge a fee on credit card payments for goods and services, but it charges a 2.9% fee on money sent to friends or family members. PayPal payments aren’t cash advances. They’re treated like retail transactions and shouldn’t incur additional bank fees.
Can I send money with my credit card?
You can use your PayPal-linked credit card to send money to family and friends. PayPal charges a 2.9% fee plus 30 cents for the service.
Is using your credit card on PayPal a cash advance?
Payments made through PayPal aren’t considered cash advances, so you shouldn’t expect a fee or cash advance APR on the transaction from your bank.
Payments through PayPal could even make you money if you’re using a card whose bonus is larger than the fee you’d pay to PayPal.
Is PayPal safe?
PayPal has been around since 2002 and is generally safe to use, especially if you are using PayPal to pay for goods and services. PayPal uses industry-standard security and encryption and doesn’t share your credit card or banking information with payment recipients.
PayPal offers its own purchase protection on items that don’t arrive or aren’t as described and the credit cards paired with the account may offer their own protections.
Using a credit card with your PayPal account can be an easy way to earn extra rewards on the purchases you’re already making, especially if you’re a Citi, Chase or Discover cardholder. If you are a Discover or Chase cardholder, PayPal makes it especially easy to spend the rewards you’ve earned.
Feature photo courtesy of Shutterstock
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees