Discover Adds Extra 5% Cash Back Categories at PayPal, Target and Walmart
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This page includes information about the Discover it Cash Back that is not currently available on The Points Guy and may be out of date.
Discover card holders were treated to a nice little surprise today when the bank announced it would be adding three more categories to its rotating quarterly cash-back bonus calendar.
Discover it Cash Back card holders will now be able to earn cash back on PayPal in Q3 (July 1 to Sep. 30) and at Target and Walmart.com (including grocery delivery) in Q4 (Oct. 1 to Dec. 31). Note that you can only earn 5% in each quarter upon enrollment, on up to $1,500 in purchases, you’ll earn 1% back after hitting the $1,500 limit and 1% back on all other purchases.
The addition of PayPal is great, considering you can use the service across hundreds of popular online retailers. You could even make straight cash by sending payments through the service and just eating the 2.9% processing fee — you’d still be ahead 2.1%.
Target and Walmart.com are clear complements to Amazon, which was already loaded into Discover’s cash back calendar, and the department stores offer myriad items that can appeal to a wide variety of consumers.
These new categories are in additions to the one earlier announced. Here’s a breakdown of everywhere you can earn 5% back (up to $1,500 each quarter you activate) through the rest of 2019:
- April – June 2019: 5% back at gas stations, Uber and Lyft
- July – September 2019: 5% back at Paypal and Restaurants
- October – December 2019: 5% back at Target, Walmart.com and Amazon.com
If you want to max out the categories (each quarter you activate) but can’t meet the $1,500 cap through organic spend, you can purchase gift cards that you can use later. You could even load up your Amazon balance if you know you’ll be making purchases through the online retail giant. Target, Walmart and Amazon all sell gift cards to third-party retailers, too.
Remember, Discover matches all cash back at the end of your first card member year. If you can max out each category, you can end up with up to $600 back by the end of the year.
The Chase Freedom (No longer open to new applicants) also offers 5% back (or 5x points) on rotating quarterly categories (up to $1,500), and you can currently earn the bonus on purchases made at grocery stores (not including Target and Walmart) and home improvement stores.
Featured image by The Points Guy Staff.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees