Discover Adds Extra 5% Cash Back Categories at PayPal, Target and Walmart
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This page includes information about the Discover it Cash Back that is not currently available on The Points Guy and may be out of date.
Discover card holders were treated to a nice little surprise today when the bank announced it would be adding three more categories to its rotating quarterly cash-back bonus calendar.
Discover it Cash Back card holders will now be able to earn cash back on PayPal in Q3 (July 1 to Sep. 30) and at Target and Walmart.com (including grocery delivery) in Q4 (Oct. 1 to Dec. 31). Note that you can only earn 5% in each quarter upon enrollment, on up to $1,500 in purchases, you’ll earn 1% back after hitting the $1,500 limit and 1% back on all other purchases.
The addition of PayPal is great, considering you can use the service across hundreds of popular online retailers. You could even make straight cash by sending payments through the service and just eating the 2.9% processing fee — you’d still be ahead 2.1%.
Target and Walmart.com are clear complements to Amazon, which was already loaded into Discover’s cash back calendar, and the department stores offer myriad items that can appeal to a wide variety of consumers.
These new categories are in additions to the one earlier announced. Here’s a breakdown of everywhere you can earn 5% back (up to $1,500 each quarter you activate) through the rest of 2019:
- April – June 2019: 5% back at gas stations, Uber and Lyft
- July – September 2019: 5% back at Paypal and Restaurants
- October – December 2019: 5% back at Target, Walmart.com and Amazon.com
If you want to max out the categories (each quarter you activate) but can’t meet the $1,500 cap through organic spend, you can purchase gift cards that you can use later. You could even load up your Amazon balance if you know you’ll be making purchases through the online retail giant. Target, Walmart and Amazon all sell gift cards to third-party retailers, too.
Remember, Discover matches all cash back at the end of your first card member year. If you can max out each category, you can end up with up to $600 back by the end of the year.
The Chase Freedom (No longer open to new applicants) also offers 5% back (or 5x points) on rotating quarterly categories (up to $1,500), and you can currently earn the bonus on purchases made at grocery stores (not including Target and Walmart) and home improvement stores.
Featured image by The Points Guy Staff.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.