This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Gulf Air is set to be the newest Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner operator, featuring a rather amazing business class product. The airline’s version of the 789 Dreamliner is arranged 2-2-2 with Apex Suites seating.
The Bahrain-based airline announced that the launch of this new aircraft would be on June 15 between Bahrain (BAH) and London’s Heathrow (LHR). But, according to Routes Online, that inaugural has been moved up almost a month and changed to a new route. The new inaugural is set for Bahrain (BAH) to Paris’s Charles de Gaulle (CDG) on May 16, 2018.
Passengers already booked on those BAH-CDG flights are in for a treat. Instead of an Airbus A320 with older angle-flat seats, they’re going to get an excellent new lie-flat business class product:
For those of us not booked on this flight (yet), there’s good news. Switching from a 14-seat A320 business class cabin to a 26-seat business class cabin just days before the inaugural means that there’s empty space. And Gulf Air has opened up award availability to fill those empty seats.
Unfortunately, the easiest way of booking Gulf Air awards just ended. As of April 30, American Airlines AAdvantage no longer partners with Gulf Air.
As far as I can tell, that leaves just one major airline mileage program for you to book Gulf Air awards: Cathay Pacific Asia Miles. For the 2,996-mile direct flight between Bahrain (BAH) and Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG), Gulf Air awards cost:
- Economy, one-way: 25,000 miles
- Business, one-way: 45,000 miles
- Economy, round-trip: 45,000 miles
- Business, round-trip: 80,000 miles
If you don’t have Asia Miles in your account, you’ve got options. Three transferable point currencies can be converted into Asia Miles at a 1:1 ratio: American Express Membership Rewards, Citi ThankYou points and Starwood Starpoints. The normal SPG 5,000-mile bonus for every 20,000 Starpoints transferred applies.
However, time is of the essence here so it’s important to know how long miles take to transfer. In TPG testing, Citi ThankYou Points take less than 24 hours to transfer. Amex Membership Rewards take about 48 hours. Transferred Starpoints take 3 days to reach Asia Miles.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards