This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The American Express International Airline Program now offers travelers the ability to book discounted premium cabin tickets directly via online chat.
The discount program has existed for some time, originally as a buy-one-get-one-free deal for full-fare first and business class tickets. More than a year ago, Amex revised and expanded the program to instead offer discounted rates on 1-8 first, business and premium economy class tickets. However, the fares could only be booked by calling in to the Amex concierge desk, which was frustrating for travelers who simply wanted to research availability and pricing.
Amex still doesn’t offer travelers the ability to book discounted fares directly through the booking platform itself, but the online chat option is a convenient upgrade for busy travelers. There’s a $39 service fee per ticket, which is waived for Centurion card holders, and the discount only applies to travel that originates and returns to US airports for the most part. Certain Canadian airports are included, and select airline partners allow one-way travel.
As always, Amex members can use Membership Rewards “Pay with Points” to pay for the cost of the ticket while still earning miles from the 20+ participating airlines. Personal card holders earn 5x Membership Rewards points when booking revenue fares through this program, while card holders who pay with the Business Platinum® Card from American Express will receive a 35% rebate in points for booking first and business class flights for their selected airline, up to 500,000 points per year.
H/T: Doctor of Credit
Photo by Jaap Arriens/NurPhoto via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees