Bomb Threat on Twitter Delays Delta Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Delta flight out of Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson Airport (ATL) was delayed on Wednesday night due to a bomb threat issued against the plane on Twitter.
Flight 2234 with service to Austin, Texas, was delayed after officials were alerted in the early afternoon to the threat against the Airbus A321 aircraft. Officers from Atlanta’s police department searched the plane for explosive devices, but determined the plane was safe, and the person making the threats was not on board the flight.
“Atlanta Police were informed of a bomb threat to an inbound flight made over Twitter,” a spokesperson for the city’s police department told TPG in a statement. “After the plane landed, officers completed a search of the plane and were unable to locate any hazardous items or packages. It appears that the person who made the threats was not on the plane at the time of its arrival to Atlanta. Normal operations were later restored.”
Delta confirmed the flight to Austin was delayed and stated the aircraft was taken out of service due to “an abundance of caution.”
“Out of an abundance of caution the aircraft was taken out of service prior to boarding for a security search by law enforcement,” the airline said in a statement. “Passengers were reaccommodated on a different aircraft to their destination.”
The FBI will be further investigating the incident.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list/
Featured image courtesy of Delta Air Lines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.