Bomb Threat on Twitter Delays Delta Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Delta flight out of Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson Airport (ATL) was delayed on Wednesday night due to a bomb threat issued against the plane on Twitter.
Flight 2234 with service to Austin, Texas, was delayed after officials were alerted in the early afternoon to the threat against the Airbus A321 aircraft. Officers from Atlanta’s police department searched the plane for explosive devices, but determined the plane was safe, and the person making the threats was not on board the flight.
“Atlanta Police were informed of a bomb threat to an inbound flight made over Twitter,” a spokesperson for the city’s police department told TPG in a statement. “After the plane landed, officers completed a search of the plane and were unable to locate any hazardous items or packages. It appears that the person who made the threats was not on the plane at the time of its arrival to Atlanta. Normal operations were later restored.”
Delta confirmed the flight to Austin was delayed and stated the aircraft was taken out of service due to “an abundance of caution.”
“Out of an abundance of caution the aircraft was taken out of service prior to boarding for a security search by law enforcement,” the airline said in a statement. “Passengers were reaccommodated on a different aircraft to their destination.”
The FBI will be further investigating the incident.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list/
Featured image courtesy of Delta Air Lines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.