Fake Bomb Scare Temporarily Shuts Down EWR Terminal
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A man from Israel caused New Jersey’s Newark Airport (EWR) to be temporarily shut down Tuesday morning when he allegedly brought a realistic looking fake bomb through the security checkpoint.
The man, Alon Felman, told airport authorities that he was flying to Florida for a police training exercise and the fake bomb device was part of the exercise.
— TSAmedia_LisaF (@TSAmedia_LisaF) September 4, 2018
According to the Transportation Security Administration, the man was carrying the device as part of an X-ray drill that would take place at the police training course.
“[Felman] was carrying a test item that was built and designed to mimic a fully-assembled bomb when viewed on an X-ray monitor,” TSA Spokeswoman Lisa Farbstein told New Jersey 12 News. Indeed, the item was a realistic replica explosive device.”
Authorities shut down the third level of EWR’s Terminal C to inspect the device. When it was determined to be fake, the terminal was reopened, and Felman was arrested for creating a false public alarm and interference with transportation.
Featured image by TSA via Twitter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.