Fake Bomb Scare Temporarily Shuts Down EWR Terminal
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A man from Israel caused New Jersey’s Newark Airport (EWR) to be temporarily shut down Tuesday morning when he allegedly brought a realistic looking fake bomb through the security checkpoint.
The man, Alon Felman, told airport authorities that he was flying to Florida for a police training exercise and the fake bomb device was part of the exercise.
— TSAmedia_LisaF (@TSAmedia_LisaF) September 4, 2018
According to the Transportation Security Administration, the man was carrying the device as part of an X-ray drill that would take place at the police training course.
“[Felman] was carrying a test item that was built and designed to mimic a fully-assembled bomb when viewed on an X-ray monitor,” TSA Spokeswoman Lisa Farbstein told New Jersey 12 News. Indeed, the item was a realistic replica explosive device.”
Authorities shut down the third level of EWR’s Terminal C to inspect the device. When it was determined to be fake, the terminal was reopened, and Felman was arrested for creating a false public alarm and interference with transportation.
Featured image by TSA via Twitter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees