This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Boeing has finalized a deal to buy a majority stake in Brazilian plane maker Embraer’s commercial operations for $4.2 billion, the companies announced on Monday.
Embraer manufactures workhorse regional jets like the E-175 and E-190. According to the deal, Chicago-based Boeing will buy an 80% stake of Embraer’s commercial aircraft and services and take over operational and management control of those sectors. Embraer will keep the remaining 20% stake, as well as consent rights for some decisions, which would include moving any of the operations from Brazil.
Plans for the joint venture were originally announced in July, along with some of the terms of the agreement. Monday was the first time the terms — including the price tag — had been finalized by both companies. Boeing’s payment of $4.2 billion for an 80% stake values Embraer’s total commercial division at $5.26 billion. That’s 11% more expensive than the total division’s valuation when the plans were first announced, which was estimated at $4.75 billion.
Embraer’s main competitor, Canadian plane builder Bombardier, struck a similar deal earlier this year with Airbus, selling off its C-Series program to the Boeing rival.
The deal still needs approval from the Brazilian government, though the country’s new president Jair Bolsonaro has reportedly said he would be “OK” with a joint venture between the two aircraft manufacturers, Reuters reported back in October. After getting the official go-ahead from the government, the agreement will need approval from shareholders and other regulators.
Assuming the approvals come in a timely manner, Boeing said in its announcement, the deal is expected to close by the end of 2019.
Featured image by ERIC PIERMONT/AFP/Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees