Boeing Finalizes Deal With Embraer for $4.2 Billion
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Boeing has finalized a deal to buy a majority stake in Brazilian plane maker Embraer’s commercial operations for $4.2 billion, the companies announced on Monday.
Embraer manufactures workhorse regional jets like the E-175 and E-190. According to the deal, Chicago-based Boeing will buy an 80% stake of Embraer’s commercial aircraft and services and take over operational and management control of those sectors. Embraer will keep the remaining 20% stake, as well as consent rights for some decisions, which would include moving any of the operations from Brazil.
Plans for the joint venture were originally announced in July, along with some of the terms of the agreement. Monday was the first time the terms — including the price tag — had been finalized by both companies. Boeing’s payment of $4.2 billion for an 80% stake values Embraer’s total commercial division at $5.26 billion. That’s 11% more expensive than the total division’s valuation when the plans were first announced, which was estimated at $4.75 billion.
Embraer’s main competitor, Canadian plane builder Bombardier, struck a similar deal earlier this year with Airbus, selling off its C-Series program to the Boeing rival.
The deal still needs approval from the Brazilian government, though the country’s new president Jair Bolsonaro has reportedly said he would be “OK” with a joint venture between the two aircraft manufacturers, Reuters reported back in October. After getting the official go-ahead from the government, the agreement will need approval from shareholders and other regulators.
Assuming the approvals come in a timely manner, Boeing said in its announcement, the deal is expected to close by the end of 2019.
Featured image by ERIC PIERMONT/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees