Boeing Finalizes Deal With Embraer for $4.2 Billion
Boeing has finalized a deal to buy a majority stake in Brazilian plane maker Embraer’s commercial operations for $4.2 billion, the companies announced on Monday.
Embraer manufactures workhorse regional jets like the E-175 and E-190. According to the deal, Chicago-based Boeing will buy an 80% stake of Embraer’s commercial aircraft and services and take over operational and management control of those sectors. Embraer will keep the remaining 20% stake, as well as consent rights for some decisions, which would include moving any of the operations from Brazil.
Plans for the joint venture were originally announced in July, along with some of the terms of the agreement. Monday was the first time the terms — including the price tag — had been finalized by both companies. Boeing’s payment of $4.2 billion for an 80% stake values Embraer’s total commercial division at $5.26 billion. That’s 11% more expensive than the total division’s valuation when the plans were first announced, which was estimated at $4.75 billion.
Embraer’s main competitor, Canadian plane builder Bombardier, struck a similar deal earlier this year with Airbus, selling off its C-Series program to the Boeing rival.
The deal still needs approval from the Brazilian government, though the country’s new president Jair Bolsonaro has reportedly said he would be “OK” with a joint venture between the two aircraft manufacturers, Reuters reported back in October. After getting the official go-ahead from the government, the agreement will need approval from shareholders and other regulators.
Assuming the approvals come in a timely manner, Boeing said in its announcement, the deal is expected to close by the end of 2019.
Featured image by ERIC PIERMONT/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.