Playground in paradise: new mega-resort in Africa promises 5-star luxury in Zanzibar
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A massive new luxury property is coming soon to Zanzibar, one that could have a transformative effect on the lush archipelago known for its bright waters and soft sand.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Blue Amber Zanzibar is a tropical resort that, once completed, will cover more than a thousand acres of pristine Indian Ocean coastline. The resort will feature five-star hotels like the Ritz-Carlton as well as residential vacation homes, and world-class amenities like aqua parks, an underwater restaurant, horseback riding, and even east Africa’s first Signature Championship golf course, designed by golf legend Ernie Els.
That all sounds amazing, but the question I’m sure we all have is, when will this island paradise be open?
Given the size and scope of the project, Blue Amber will open in phases. The first phase, will include the Shirazi Resort and Villas, a leisure activity center and beach restaurant, and is expected to be finished by 2023. Construction on the remainder of the project, including retail stores and the golf course are slated to begin near the end of 2022, and expected to last three years.
The resort looks to capitalize on Zanzibar’s popularity with tourists looking for an exotic tropical getaway. Like almost every other destination, the cluster of 51 islands in the Indian Ocean lost much of its tourism due to the pandemic. But since January, nearly 200,000 visitors have returned.
Zanzibar is also not that difficult a locale to reach. It’s just a short flight from Tanzania and there are many connecting flight options from major travel hubs.
In addition, Lufthansa recently announced twice-weekly flights to Zanzibar from Mombasa. Also, Air France in October will debut its first flights to Zanzibar, providing twice-weekly service on a Boeing 787-9 as the continuation of a flight to Nairobi, Kenya.
Along with promises of white-glove service with unblocked views of endless ocean, Blue Amber is trying to appeal to investors looking for oceanfront vacation homes by building hundreds of oceanfront villas. Changes to Zanzibar’s tax regulations now allow foreign investors to buy property in the country for the first time and reap the financial benefits, making the resort’s 2, 3 and 4 bedroom homes, with prices starting at $198,000, particularly attractive.
The developer of the project, Pennyroyal Gibraltar, stated its goal when the project was first announced was to redefine tourism in East Africa.
“With the commissioning of this luxury tropical resort… the premium hospitality offerings and world-class facilities will benchmark luxury in Africa,” the firm said in a statement.
Full details on all the amenities the resort will offer have not been finalized. But we like what we see so far, and will be watching and following the project as it moves closer to its opening.
Featured image courtesy of Blue Amber Zanzibar/Facebook
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees