Blade becomes first aviation company to require passengers to be fully vaccinated
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Not vaccinated? Don’t expect to fly — at least not on Blade.
Starting Sept. 7, 2021, the company will require passengers to be fully vaccinated on all services, including helicopter, seaplane and jet. It’s the first aviation company to implement vaccination requirements for U.S. passengers.
Blade founder and CEO Rob Wiesenthal told TPG that “passengers want the security of knowing their fellow fliers are vaccinated.”
While it’s a safety measure on the surface, Wiesenthal suggested it’s a business play, too. “We believe it will ultimately increase our passenger volume,” he said.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Airlines have taken a different approach. United and Frontier announced vaccination requirements for employees last week, though there is no such requirement for passengers on any big U.S. carrier.
United led the way, requiring all of its U.S. staff to receive a COVID-19 vaccination five weeks after the Federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA) fully approves one of the vaccines, or five weeks after Sept. 20, whichever comes first. Soon after United’s announcement, Frontier Airlines also stated that its employees must be fully vaccinated by Oct. 1, 2021.
Wiesenthal says he believes he knows why the major commercial carriers aren’t taking a stronger stance on vaccines.
“It’s not happening on commercial airlines because it is too difficult to scale on 300 or even 150 passenger jets. With our helicopter, amphibious seaplane, and jet services, we have enough highly trained ground staff to manage this process as we only have 6-16 passengers per flight.”
In an email to customers, Blade says that any passenger who wishes to fly with Blade must be fully vaccinated at the time of their flight, excluding those under the age of 12 or subject to a medical exemption. In addition, the vaccination must have occurred at least two weeks prior to the flight date.
If you show up to a flight without proof of vaccination, you aren’t entitled to a refund.
Blade is perhaps best known for its regularly scheduled, by-the-seat helicopter service between Manhattan and New York City-area airports. In June, Blade restarted this service after a year-long hiatus due to the pandemic.
Currently, the company offers Manhattan to New York’s JFK Airport with Newark (EWR) LaGuardia (LGA) airport service resumption starting this fall.
Flights can be booked directly through Blade or Kayak at a cost of $195 per seat each way. However, through Sept. 5, 2021, you can book two seats on the helicopter for the price of one. Just use the coupon code PLUSONE at checkout.
Featured photo by Benji Stawski/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees