This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Belgium plans on turning an abandoned, protected hangar into a “mega-brothel,” moving sex workers in Ostend from the city’s seaside red-light district.
Backlash followed the decision from a nonprofit group, Oostendse Oosteroever, who had been advocating for the hangar to be turned into a museum to celebrate the town’s maritime past. The organization called the brothel “madness,” The Guardian reports.
The brothel will be called the Hangar d’Amour and will be run by the same company who manages a 51-suite brothel, Villa Tinto, in Belgium’s red-light district. Belgium, which tightened its prostitution laws in 2000, is one of the safest and largest markets in the world for sex workers. The new laws organized prostitution into a much more regulated three-block “tolerance zone,” where building owners who rent windows to prostitutes must apply for a permit that has to be signed by the mayor.
Because the building has protected its architectural status, contractors are only permitted to change the inside; they cannot touch the outside appearance.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees