This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Belgium plans on turning an abandoned, protected hangar into a “mega-brothel,” moving sex workers in Ostend from the city’s seaside red-light district.
Backlash followed the decision from a nonprofit group, Oostendse Oosteroever, who had been advocating for the hangar to be turned into a museum to celebrate the town’s maritime past. The organization called the brothel “madness,” The Guardian reports.
The brothel will be called the Hangar d’Amour and will be run by the same company who manages a 51-suite brothel, Villa Tinto, in Belgium’s red-light district. Belgium, which tightened its prostitution laws in 2000, is one of the safest and largest markets in the world for sex workers. The new laws organized prostitution into a much more regulated three-block “tolerance zone,” where building owners who rent windows to prostitutes must apply for a permit that has to be signed by the mayor.
Because the building has protected its architectural status, contractors are only permitted to change the inside; they cannot touch the outside appearance.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees