Barter Week Offers Free Accommodations for Goods and Services
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Travelers will have a unique opportunity to stay at properties across the globe for free in the coming weeks. Beginning on November 19th and running through November 25th, those willing to be creative and adventurous have the option to exchange goods or services for accommodations across the globe in a program called Barter Week. Accommodations vary as do the goods and services requested by hosts. This is the first year the worldwide program.
According to The Guardian, the global Barter Week initiative was launched by an Italian bed-and-breakfast/vacation rental aggregate site. The website is no stranger to bartering in return for free lodging. The company launched a similar program, Settimana del Baratto, in Italy in 2009. Now, for the first time in the initiative’s history, travelers around the world have the opportunity to barter in exchange for a free place to stay.
According to the official Barter Week website, there are more than 500 properties participating. Destinations include US cities such as New Orleans as well as Asian cities such as Manado, Indonesia. Properties include more traditional hotels, hostels, standard bed-and-breakfasts and even an elementary school. Below are just a few properties that caught our eye.
The 4 Fish in Manado, Indonesia
A School in Mesang District, Cambodia
Hostal Aptofive in Havana, Cuba
Nine O’ Five Royale Hotel in New Orleans, Louisiana
Requests vary in terms of what travelers can expect hosts to ask for in return for a free place to stay. For example, the Hostal Aptofive in Havana is requesting SEO (search engine optimization) or video marketing services. Barter Week’s official website states that requests for goods include everything from a comic book collection to English lessons. Many of the properties allow potential guests to offer a good or a service before selecting the property.
While the official Barter Week only lasts for seven days, many of the properties participating in the program will continue to accept reservations using bartering as a means of payment past the 25th. Reservation requests can be made on Barter Week’s official website.
H/T: Travel + Leisure
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees