Barter Week Offers Free Accommodations for Goods and Services
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Travelers will have a unique opportunity to stay at properties across the globe for free in the coming weeks. Beginning on November 19th and running through November 25th, those willing to be creative and adventurous have the option to exchange goods or services for accommodations across the globe in a program called Barter Week. Accommodations vary as do the goods and services requested by hosts. This is the first year the worldwide program.
According to The Guardian, the global Barter Week initiative was launched by an Italian bed-and-breakfast/vacation rental aggregate site. The website is no stranger to bartering in return for free lodging. The company launched a similar program, Settimana del Baratto, in Italy in 2009. Now, for the first time in the initiative’s history, travelers around the world have the opportunity to barter in exchange for a free place to stay.
According to the official Barter Week website, there are more than 500 properties participating. Destinations include US cities such as New Orleans as well as Asian cities such as Manado, Indonesia. Properties include more traditional hotels, hostels, standard bed-and-breakfasts and even an elementary school. Below are just a few properties that caught our eye.
The 4 Fish in Manado, Indonesia
A School in Mesang District, Cambodia
Hostal Aptofive in Havana, Cuba
Nine O’ Five Royale Hotel in New Orleans, Louisiana
Requests vary in terms of what travelers can expect hosts to ask for in return for a free place to stay. For example, the Hostal Aptofive in Havana is requesting SEO (search engine optimization) or video marketing services. Barter Week’s official website states that requests for goods include everything from a comic book collection to English lessons. Many of the properties allow potential guests to offer a good or a service before selecting the property.
While the official Barter Week only lasts for seven days, many of the properties participating in the program will continue to accept reservations using bartering as a means of payment past the 25th. Reservation requests can be made on Barter Week’s official website.
H/T: Travel + Leisure
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.