Barter Week Offers Free Accommodations for Goods and Services
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Travelers will have a unique opportunity to stay at properties across the globe for free in the coming weeks. Beginning on November 19th and running through November 25th, those willing to be creative and adventurous have the option to exchange goods or services for accommodations across the globe in a program called Barter Week. Accommodations vary as do the goods and services requested by hosts. This is the first year the worldwide program.
According to The Guardian, the global Barter Week initiative was launched by an Italian bed-and-breakfast/vacation rental aggregate site. The website is no stranger to bartering in return for free lodging. The company launched a similar program, Settimana del Baratto, in Italy in 2009. Now, for the first time in the initiative’s history, travelers around the world have the opportunity to barter in exchange for a free place to stay.
According to the official Barter Week website, there are more than 500 properties participating. Destinations include US cities such as New Orleans as well as Asian cities such as Manado, Indonesia. Properties include more traditional hotels, hostels, standard bed-and-breakfasts and even an elementary school. Below are just a few properties that caught our eye.
The 4 Fish in Manado, Indonesia
A School in Mesang District, Cambodia
Hostal Aptofive in Havana, Cuba
Nine O’ Five Royale Hotel in New Orleans, Louisiana
Requests vary in terms of what travelers can expect hosts to ask for in return for a free place to stay. For example, the Hostal Aptofive in Havana is requesting SEO (search engine optimization) or video marketing services. Barter Week’s official website states that requests for goods include everything from a comic book collection to English lessons. Many of the properties allow potential guests to offer a good or a service before selecting the property.
While the official Barter Week only lasts for seven days, many of the properties participating in the program will continue to accept reservations using bartering as a means of payment past the 25th. Reservation requests can be made on Barter Week’s official website.
H/T: Travel + Leisure
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees