Bankrupt Avianca Brasil Is Officially Out of Star Alliance
Avianca Brasil remains on the rolls of Star Alliance even though it has not operated a passenger flight since May, when Brazilian aviation regulators grounded the failing carrier.
That will change in less than a month when what’s left of the Brazilian carrier exits Star on Sept. 1, the alliance said Monday.
“Initially joining Star Alliance in 2015, Avianca Brasil made important contributions to our customer proposition in the Brazilian market, and we regret this unfortunate development,” said Jeffrey Goh, CEO of Star, in a statement.
Avianca Brasil, formerly Ocean Air, is not to be confused with Colombia’s Avianca. While the airline shares a name with South America’s second largest carrier, it is a completely separate airline owned by Synergy Group. Synergy also owns a majority stake in Avianca.
Avianca, as well as Copa Airlines, will remain as Star’s two Latin American members when Avianca Brasil officially exits the alliance.
United Airlines, Star’s largest member, serves Rio de Janeiro Galeão (GIG) and São Paulo Guarulhos (GRU) from the US. In addition, it codeshares with Azul, the third-largest carrier in Brazil, on a number of routes in the country.
Azul will launch a new shuttle between Brazil’s two most sought after city airports — Rio’s Santos Dumont (SDU) and São Paulo’s Congonhas (CGH) — with slots acquired through Avianca Brasil’s bankruptcy later this month.
Featured image by Rafael Luiz Canossa/Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees