Vietnam to the US on an Airbus A380? Bamboo Airways Might Make That a Reality
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Travelers may soon be able to travel to Vietnam from the United States nonstop aboard an Airbus A380, the iconic superjumbo. Vietnamese startup Bamboo Airways hopes to launch service between the two countries as early as next year. According to the airline’s chief executive, the only hurdle is government approval.
Bamboo Airways confirms that the airline has applied to serve the US, however, it is unclear as to when the US government could make a decision on whether or not to grant the airline approval to serve the US.
The Financial Times is reporting that Bamboo Airways intends to lease an Airbus A380, which would be used to operate the flights. While it is unclear how the airline plans on obtaining the plane, one option seems to be Hi-Fly Malta’s Airbus A380, capable of carrying 471 passengers and still featuring Singapore Airlines’ interior, including the airline’s first class suites, business class and a slightly modified economy class cabin.
The United States is home to an estimated 1.6 million residents that identify as Vietnamese. Additionally, both Vietnam and the United States are two major destinations for tourists. The two countries are roughly 6,600 miles apart, with the shortest distance of any practical route (Hanoi to San Francisco) upward of 7,400 miles apart. This would make for a 15-hour flight from Vietnam and 16+ hour flight from the United States.
Bamboo Airways is a relatively new Vietnamese airline, operating its first flights earlier this year. Though in service for less than a year, Bamboo Airways already operates a rather extensive domestic market in addition to service from Vietnam to Seoul, Taiwan and Tokyo.
Bamboo Airways currently serves 18 destinations from its hubs in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh. The airline operates a fleet of 10 aircraft consisting of a single Airbus A319, five Airbus A320s, and four Airbus A321neos. Additionally, Bamboo Airways plans on taking delivery of 46 additional Airbus A321neos and 30 Boeing 787-9 Dreamliners.
Bamboo Airways is owned by FLC, a Hanoi-based real estate group. Trinh Van Quyet, the chairman and chief executive of FLC, told the Financial Times that Bamboo Airways will launch Vietnam-US flights “in the first quarter of 2020 if [they] get permission by the end of this year.”
Bamboo Airways is not the only airline eyeing nonstop flights between Vietnam and the United States. Back in 2016, Vietnam Airlines announced intentions to serve Los Angeles nonstop. There has also been speculation that low-cost carrier VietJet is considering nonstop flights between the two countries.
However, any Vietnamese carrier will first be required to receive government approval to serve the United States. Bamboo Airways appears to be the front-runner at the moment.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image by Mustafa Yalcin/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees