Hotels in China Are Apologizing After a Hidden Cam Revealed Their Nasty Cleaning Habits
Four major hotels in China issued apologies Thursday after a viral hidden camera video revealed their housekeeping teams were cutting major corners when tidying up the hotels’ rooms.
Footage by an activist blogger, who only identifies himself as “Huazong,” was posted on the Chinese Twitter-like site Weibo late on Wednesday. The 11-minute video shows the cleaning crews wiping the cups and sinks in the rooms with filthy towels and sponges — some cleaners even use the same towel on the cups as they did on the toilet seat.
And we only thought planes were gross.
The video features 14 luxury hotels throughout China, most of which are part of major international hotel brands, including properties from both the Hilton and Marriott groups. Among the four hotels that have issued apologies are the Shangri-La Hotel in Fuzhou, which said the actions shown in the video violate its hygiene standards; the Park Hyatt in Beijing, which chalked it up to an isolated incident; the Waldorf Astoria in Shanghai and the Sheraton in Guiyang city, both of which said would review their cleaning procedures.
TPG‘s Adam Kotkin recently stayed at the Waldorf Astoria Shanghai, and he found his room to be “spotlessly clean and spacious.” Let’s hope that his room had a different cleaning crew.
H/T: The AP
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.