Hotels in China Are Apologizing After a Hidden Cam Revealed Their Nasty Cleaning Habits
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Four major hotels in China issued apologies Thursday after a viral hidden camera video revealed their housekeeping teams were cutting major corners when tidying up the hotels’ rooms.
Footage by an activist blogger, who only identifies himself as “Huazong,” was posted on the Chinese Twitter-like site Weibo late on Wednesday. The 11-minute video shows the cleaning crews wiping the cups and sinks in the rooms with filthy towels and sponges — some cleaners even use the same towel on the cups as they did on the toilet seat.
And we only thought planes were gross.
The video features 14 luxury hotels throughout China, most of which are part of major international hotel brands, including properties from both the Hilton and Marriott groups. Among the four hotels that have issued apologies are the Shangri-La Hotel in Fuzhou, which said the actions shown in the video violate its hygiene standards; the Park Hyatt in Beijing, which chalked it up to an isolated incident; the Waldorf Astoria in Shanghai and the Sheraton in Guiyang city, both of which said would review their cleaning procedures.
TPG‘s Adam Kotkin recently stayed at the Waldorf Astoria Shanghai, and he found his room to be “spotlessly clean and spacious.” Let’s hope that his room had a different cleaning crew.
H/T: The AP
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees