Hotels in China Are Apologizing After a Hidden Cam Revealed Their Nasty Cleaning Habits
Four major hotels in China issued apologies Thursday after a viral hidden camera video revealed their housekeeping teams were cutting major corners when tidying up the hotels’ rooms.
Footage by an activist blogger, who only identifies himself as “Huazong,” was posted on the Chinese Twitter-like site Weibo late on Wednesday. The 11-minute video shows the cleaning crews wiping the cups and sinks in the rooms with filthy towels and sponges — some cleaners even use the same towel on the cups as they did on the toilet seat.
And we only thought planes were gross.
The video features 14 luxury hotels throughout China, most of which are part of major international hotel brands, including properties from both the Hilton and Marriott groups. Among the four hotels that have issued apologies are the Shangri-La Hotel in Fuzhou, which said the actions shown in the video violate its hygiene standards; the Park Hyatt in Beijing, which chalked it up to an isolated incident; the Waldorf Astoria in Shanghai and the Sheraton in Guiyang city, both of which said would review their cleaning procedures.
TPG‘s Adam Kotkin recently stayed at the Waldorf Astoria Shanghai, and he found his room to be “spotlessly clean and spacious.” Let’s hope that his room had a different cleaning crew.
H/T: The AP
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.