Babies on Board 17-Hour Air India Flight Bitten by Bed Bugs
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A couple of Air India passengers are itching with anger after bed bugs swarmed their children on board a 17-hour flight this week.
The victims of the bed bugs were two babies seated in business class on Thursday’s flight AI144 from Newark (EWR) to Mumbai (BOM). The two infant girls were continuously crying on board the Boeing 777. When the mother removed the younger, 8-month-old baby’s clothes, she discovered that the child was covered in bug bites.
The babies’ father, Pravin Tonsekar, tweeted pictures of the incident, tagging India Civil Aviation Minister Suresh Prabhu and even Prime Minister Narendra Modi. He says his family’s seats were “infested” with bed bugs.
@airindiain @sureshpprabhu @narendramodi_in Suresh Prabhuji – just arrived from New York on Air India 144 business class with family . All our seats infested with bed bugs . Sir , have heard of bed bugs on trains but shocked to experience on our maharaja and that too business pic.twitter.com/m2GnfOpTO3
— Pravin Tonsekar (@pat_tons) July 17, 2018
Air India replied to Tonsekar’s tweet, apologizing and saying that they would work to correct the problem.
We are sorry to hear this, Mr. Pravin. Sharing the details with our maintenance team for corrective measures in this regard.
— Air India (@airindiain) July 17, 2018
TPG editor at large Zach Honig was not pleased with his experience on Air India either, although no bugs showed up on his flight. (The airline redeemed itself on another, much better flight we reviewed later.)
This isn’t the first time unwanted creepy-crawler stowaways have irritated passengers mid-flight. In January, British Airways grounded a flight that was crawling with bed bugs when the crew refused to work the flight after noticing the infestation. (BA had an almost identical incident in October 2017, too). A similar situation occurred in March on a WOW Air flight when an ant infestation took over the aircraft. Passengers had to leave their luggage on board to be fumigated. A bed bug infestation was also discovered earlier this year in the Kansas City Airport (MCI).
H/T: Business Today India
Featured image by John-Reynolds via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees