Bed Bug Infestation Found in Kansas City Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We’ve reported on the dirtiest places in the airport, but still nothing can really prepare you enough for what officials found at Kansas City International Airport (MCI): A bed bugs infestation. It’s not something you want to hear during the spring break travel period, but bed bugs were found inside MCI’s Terminal B on Thursday.
The airport temporarily closed the mezzanine area of Terminal B after airport staff found bed bugs on an upholstered chair in a seating area near several restaurants said Kathleen Hefner, a spokeswoman for MCI.
Hefner told The Kansas City Star that although the infestation was near restaurants, no food prep areas were contaminated. The restaurants in the terminal include Burger King, Starbucks, California Pizza Kitchen and a Farmers market.
“This is not a food-related issue,” she said. “The restaurants just happened to be adjacent to the seating in the area.”
The bed bugs were not found in any other area of the airport, according to Hefner. The mezzanine area is now open to passengers after having been treated for the bed bugs.
Bed bugs are a common infestation in public places especially when it comes to travel. The National Pest Management Association says that bed bug infestations in the US continue at high rates, with nearly 99.6 percent of pest control management agencies having treated for bed bugs in the past year.
Early this year, British Airways was forced to ground a plane after discovering a bed bug infestation on its London Heathrow (LHR) to Accra, Ghana (ACC) route. Last November, the Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX) had to remove seats in one of its busiest terminal after a bed bug infestation.
Featured Image by Smuay via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees