British Airways Likely Devaluating Partner Awards Redemptions From May 30
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: A BA spokesperson said the following to TPG: “We are committed to offering our Executive Club customers great value and as many opportunities as possible to spend their Avios. We are increasing the number of Avios needed to book a reward flight with various of our partner airlines.”
April 30 Update: TPG has built what we think to be the new BA partner award chart based on test calls to the Executive Club.
British Airways announced on Monday that it will change the cost of redemptions on most partner airlines from May 30, 2019.
Now, while there is a slim chance some redemption amounts may decrease, this will almost certainly be an increase in the number of Avios needed for most redemptions.
In a notice sent to members on Monday, the airline said awards on the following airlines will change:
- Alaska Airlines
- Air Italy
- American Airlines
- Cathay Pacific
- Japan Airlines
- Malaysia Airlines
- Qatar Airways
- Sri Lankan
- Royal Jordanian Airlines
BA will also be changing the cost of upgrading with Avios on American Airlines flights from this date. This may very well impact whether making a transfer utilizing the current 30% bonus from Chase Ultimate Rewards is a good deal for your situation — unless you can transfer and make your award bookings before May 30 using the current partner award chart.
The airline has frustratingly not announced what actual numbers will change, but will hopefully do so before the May 30 changeover date to allow members to decide if they should redeem at the old or new rates. A mild devaluation would be an increase of 10%-20%, but the amounts could rise even higher. You can find the existing redemption levels here.
From a historical perspective, British Airways utilized a similar secretive process in 2011 when the exact award chart changes were not announced in advance (and they weren’t good). However, when the last major changes to partner rates were made in 2016 (elimination of 4,500 Avios awards within the United States), we did know of the coming change months before it was enacted.
The new award rates coming this time around will apply to bookings made on or after May 30, 2019, regardless of the date of travel. If you change an existing booking after this date, it will be subject to the new pricing.
If you are planning to use your Avios to redeem on partner airlines for travel after this date, you may wish to make the bookings before the May 30 date — even if you are not 100% sure of your travel plans. BA can have reasonable change and cancellation fees.
If there’s any good news to what is surely a devaluation, there will be no changes to redemption rates on British Airways, Aer Lingus, Iberia or Vueling.
Featured photo by Nicolas Economou / NurPhoto via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees