Great news: British Airways extending Companion Voucher expiration by an additional 6 months
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
British Airways has extended the expiration dates of all valid Companion Vouchers and Gold Upgrade Vouchers yet again. This time around, BA has extended the vouchers by an additional six months as passengers delay travel due to the continued coronavirus pandemic. The airline confirmed to TPG that all Companion Vouchers and Gold Upgrade Vouchers with an expiration date before Dec. 31, 2021, have been extended by a further six months.
Executive Club customers can check their accounts where the expiration date for all valid Companion Vouchers and Gold Upgrade Vouchers will be changed to a date six calendar months later, allowing passengers with no immediate travel plans more time to use them.
If you have not yet earned your annual Companion Voucher, but do so before Dec. 31, 2021, your new Voucher will also have an additional six months added to its expiration date.
This is also great news for anyone who has a British Airways Visa Signature® Card
New cardmembers can earn 100,000 miles after spending $5,000 on purchases in the first three months of account opening.
If you wish to cancel an existing Companion Voucher booking given the new, extended expiration date, you can do this online in your Executive Club account. You will receive the Voucher, Avios and most fees, charges and taxes back when you cancel, to use at a later date.
Remember, you must book and travel before the expiration date of your Companion Voucher.
Monday’s announcement marks the third time that British Airways has extended its Companion Vouchers. It first extended them in March 2020 at the onset of the pandemic, followed by a six-month extension in October 2020.
Ultimately, it’s great to see British Airways continue to extend its valuable perks, given the ongoing lockdown and travel restrictions in the U.K., rendering travel illegal. At this time, it remains unclear if the airline will also extend status for members, though it is likely.
Featured image by Ben Smithson / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
- Earn 100,000 Avios after you spend $5,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening.
- Earn 5 Avios per $1 spent on purchases with British Airways, Aer Lingus, Iberia, and LEVEL within your first 12 months from account opening, thereafter earn 3 Avios.
- Earn 3 Avios per $1 spent on hotel accommodations when purchased directly with the hotel within your first 12 months from account opening, thereafter earn 2 Avios. Plus earn 1 Avios per $1 spent on all other purchases.
- 10% off British Airways flights starting in the US when you book through the website provided in your welcome materials.
- Every calendar year you make $30,000 in purchases on your British Airways Visa card, you'll earn a Travel Together Ticket good for two years.
- Pay no foreign transaction fees when you travel abroad.
- Simply tap to pay with your contactless British Airways Visa Signature Card. Just look for the contactless symbol at checkout. It's fast, easy and secure!