Away’s Smallest Suitcase Ever Could Be Perfect for Business Travelers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I personally own The Bigger Carry-On as well as The Large Suitcase; depending on how long I’m traveling for, I alternate between the two. They fit all my belongings and then some. The portable, removable charger in the carry-on is a game-changer. Also, they make me feel like Karlie Kloss when I’m walking through the airport. Heck, even the next generation of TPG kids loves them.
So, imagine our excitement when we heard Away just released a new piece of luggage this week.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list//
Called the Daily Carry-On With Pocket, this new bag promises to combine the best elements of a briefcase and a suitcase. It’s a compact carry-on, but has an outward-facing pocket so you can easily grab your essentials (think: tablet, passport, phone). It also features a “removable accordion” that has three different compartments that are large enough to fit a 15-inch laptop, as well as the brand’s standard compression pad and a removable laundry bag. You’ll also find the brand’s familiar TSA-approved lock and 360-degree spinner wheels.
We’re intrigued by the idea of an all-in-one briefcase and carry-on. Business travelers on quick trips and organized minimalists may just have a new favorite item of luggage.
The new Away Daily Carry-On With Pocket starts at $245 and comes in either black or navy, but isn’t available in a wide variety of colors like other Away bags are. Take, for example, the Bigger Carry-On With Pocket that comes in a handful of colors, including pink, teal and gray — and either a leather or nylon pocket. The Daily Carry-on With Pocket only has a nylon pocket.
Admittedly, it’s not the most attractive piece of luggage from Away, and there’s no removable charger, but it seems like the brand was really prioritizing function and size here. And because it’s only 16.1” x 15” x 7.5” you’ll definitely need to be strategic about what you bring with you. Sorry, no extra pairs of shoes.
To get a better sense of how this suitcases stacks up against Away’s other models, we made a quick trip … to Away’s retail store in New York City. I was immediately impressed with how much storage space the bag has, despite its compact size. Just when I thought I’d discovered all the pockets, another one opened up. But some of the buttons and velcro were a bit difficult to use on our brief test.
It opens like an accordion, so you can store your laptop, clothes and files — or whatever else you’re hauling along on a quick overnight — separately.
The bag also felt lightweight and easy to maneuver. You’d be able to fit a laptop in the front pocket, as long as it’s on the smaller side (a 13-inch laptop will squeeze in nicely).
While we always recommend going through your preferred airline’s shopping portal to earn even more points and miles on online purchases, you unfortunately won’t be able to find Away on any of them. That said, you should still purchase the bag through the retailer’s website with a card that will earn you bonus points on retail purchases.
If you’re in the market for a new suitcase but this isn’t a fit the bill, be sure to check out Away’s other products, or consider other TPG staffer favorites, including Rimowa’s hardside spinners and soft-shell bags by Tumi.
Buy: Away.com, from $245
Featured image by Wyatt Smith / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees