Avianca Pricing Awards to London Significantly Below Published Rates
There’s something strange going on with Avianca’s Lifemiles award pricing. We’re finding award flights from the US to Europe on Star Alliance carriers for much less than Avianca’s published rates.
Normally, Lifemiles charges 30,000 miles one-way for flights between the US and Europe. However, we are seeing prices as low as 17,500 miles one-way. As far as we know, there’s no published sale on these routes and it also only appears to be affecting flights to London Heathrow. We conducted searches with a handful of other European cities but didn’t see anything out of the ordinary.
Unfortunately we’re only seeing economy awards at the lower price — you’ll still have to pay 63,000 miles for a business class ticket. Although all Star Alliance carriers like United and Lufthansa have the discounted pricing.
Flights from Chicago (ORD) to London (LHR) are pricing at 17,500 miles one-way — that’s 12,500 miles less than the standard pricing.
We are seeing other routes including Newark (EWR), Charlotte (CLT), Boston (BOS) and Washington, DC (IAD), to London Heathrow at 20,000 miles one way.
Even better, these awards are pricing like this throughout the calendar, like this nonstop flight from Washington Dulles to London Heathrow in July, which is during peak summer travel season.
It also appears to be working on some return legs, too, like this round-trip itinerary from Washington, DC, to London in May for 40,000 miles total:
However, Lifemiles was pricing the return flight from London to Chicago normally at 30,000 miles. So round-trip you’d be paying 47,500 miles plus taxes and fees.
If you do want to book these, you can transfer Citi ThankYou points or American Express Membership Rewards points to Lifemiles at a 1:1 ratio. Just note that because this may be a glitch, it’s possible Avianca won’t honor these awards — and since you can’t transfer miles back once they’re in your Lifemiles account, make sure you can use them for anther booking or be willing to pay the published rate of 30,000 miles.
Also note that you might not be getting the best value out of your miles by booking an economy award, especially considering the taxes you’ll pay to fly out of London and how cheap cash fares to Europe have been recently. Still, if you were planning on going to London this year, this could be worth taking advantage if prices are high from your departure city.
If you do find other routes that are pricing below normal rates, comment below and share what you’ve discovered!
Featured image by Zach Honig / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees