Avianca adds slew of new US flights in 23-route expansion
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Avianca will dramatically increase its presence in the U.S., part of broad 23-route expansion announced by the carrier this week.
The move will add nearly a dozen new routes to the U.S. from five different countries in Central and South America.
Ecuador landed the most, with Avianca adding four routes to the United States. They include New York and Miami flights from both Quito and Guayaquil.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
Colombia got three new U.S. routes – Cali-New York JFK; Medellín-Orlando; and Bucaramanga-Miami – as well as another between Bogota and Toronto.
Avianca also added new U.S. service from Costa Rica, El Salvador and Guatemala.
Still, Avianca did not reveal launch details for its latest batch of routes, which come as the airline works to exit bankruptcy protection, which it entered into in 2020 as the pandemic began to hit air travel.
“Launching these 23 new routes shows that we wish to continue growing in a sustainable way, and that we have the firm purpose of continuing to be the airline with the most robust route network in our region,” Manuel Ambriz, Avianca’s chief commercial officer, said in a statement.
Aside from helping Avianca begin to rebuild its network in the Americas, the routes also could give Star Alliance frequent flyer members new options for earning and redeeming miles in the region.
For now, though, those hoping to take advantage of the new routes will have to wait for Avianca to unveil the launch dates and service details of the new flights.
Scroll down for a list of the 23 new routes announced by Avianca this week.
Avianca’s new routes to the U.S. and Canada
- Cali-New York
- Bogotá-Toronto, Canada
- Quito-New York
- Guayaquil-New York
- Guayaquil -Miami
- San Jose-Los Angeles
- San Jose-New York
- Guatemala-Washington Dulles
- San Salvador-Orlando
Avianca’s new routes elsewhere in the Americas
- Cali-Mexico City
- Cali-San Jose, Costa Rica
- Medellín-Mexico City
- Medellín-San Jose Costa Rica
- San Jose, Costa Rica-Managua, Nicaragua
- San Jose, Costa Rica- Mexico City
Featured by Markus Mainka/Shutterstock
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.