Avianca adds slew of new US flights in 23-route expansion
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Avianca will dramatically increase its presence in the U.S., part of broad 23-route expansion announced by the carrier this week.
The move will add nearly a dozen new routes to the U.S. from five different countries in Central and South America.
Ecuador landed the most, with Avianca adding four routes to the United States. They include New York and Miami flights from both Quito and Guayaquil.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
Colombia got three new U.S. routes – Cali-New York JFK; Medellín-Orlando; and Bucaramanga-Miami – as well as another between Bogota and Toronto.
Avianca also added new U.S. service from Costa Rica, El Salvador and Guatemala.
Still, Avianca did not reveal launch details for its latest batch of routes, which come as the airline works to exit bankruptcy protection, which it entered into in 2020 as the pandemic began to hit air travel.
“Launching these 23 new routes shows that we wish to continue growing in a sustainable way, and that we have the firm purpose of continuing to be the airline with the most robust route network in our region,” Manuel Ambriz, Avianca’s chief commercial officer, said in a statement.
Aside from helping Avianca begin to rebuild its network in the Americas, the routes also could give Star Alliance frequent flyer members new options for earning and redeeming miles in the region.
For now, though, those hoping to take advantage of the new routes will have to wait for Avianca to unveil the launch dates and service details of the new flights.
Scroll down for a list of the 23 new routes announced by Avianca this week.
Avianca’s new routes to the U.S. and Canada
- Cali-New York
- Bogotá-Toronto, Canada
- Quito-New York
- Guayaquil-New York
- Guayaquil -Miami
- San Jose-Los Angeles
- San Jose-New York
- Guatemala-Washington Dulles
- San Salvador-Orlando
Avianca’s new routes elsewhere in the Americas
- Cali-Mexico City
- Cali-San Jose, Costa Rica
- Medellín-Mexico City
- Medellín-San Jose Costa Rica
- San Jose, Costa Rica-Managua, Nicaragua
- San Jose, Costa Rica- Mexico City
Featured by Markus Mainka/Shutterstock
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees