Last chance: Earn up to 60,000 Bonus Miles With the Avianca LifeMiles Credit Card
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post was originally published on Aug. 10, 2019.
Star Alliance loyalty programs have undergone a major shake-up in the last few years, with United MileagePlus losing its luster as it shifts to dynamic award pricing and Avianca LifeMiles rapidly rising to the forefront. Low award rates and the lack of fuel surcharges (especially on partners like Lufthansa) have made Avianca a fan favorite, along with the fact that LifeMiles are incredibly easy to earn. Not only does Avianca frequently run sales on purchased miles, but you can transfer points from American Express, Capital One, Citi or even Brex to top up your balance.
If you’re still looking for more ways to earn LifeMiles, Avianca offers two co-branded credit cards issued by Banco Popular de Puerto Rico. Both the Avianca Vida Visa Card and the Avianca Vuela Visa Card are offering an extra 20,000 bonus miles when you apply using promo code “SB4060” by tomorrow, December 31, 2019, and spend $1,000 in the first 90 days of account opening.
The Vuela Visa card normally offers 40,000 bonus miles after your first card use, so this promo code brings the total bonus up to 60,000 miles, worth $1,020 based on TPG’s valuations. This card carries a $149 annual fee and earns 3x points on Avianca purchases, 2x at gas stations and grocery stores and 1x everywhere else. It also doesn’t carry any foreign transaction fees, and both of these cards offer a 15% discount on purchased miles.
The cheaper Vida card, by comparison, only has a $59 annual fee. It offers 20,000 bonus miles after your first purchase, though this promo code brings the total offer up to a very respectable 40,000 miles. The Vida card earns 2x miles on Avianca purchases and 1x everywhere else.
Who Should Apply for the Avianca Credit Cards?
While both of these offers are quite compelling, neither one of these cards would be my first choice if I were just starting out in the world of points and miles. However, if you’re over 5/24 with Chase and have already applied for most of the compelling Amex and Citi credit cards, this could be a good way to diversify your card strategy moving forward. At the end of the day, sign-up bonuses are still the fastest way to build up a meaningful mileage balance. It’s also important to note that even though these cards are issued by a Puerto Rican bank, American citizens living in the continental US (or Hawaii or Alaska) are still allowed to apply for these cards.
For more on Avianca LifeMiles, please see:
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees