Apple Spends $150 Million on Flights With United Every Year
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Apple spends $150 million annually with United Airlines, according to a leaked photo from an internal United source.
The data from the leaked signage was verified by a United representative, who also said that the information was confidential and had been intended for internal employee use only.
“This information was provided to United employees as part of a limited pilot project focused on San Francisco to highlight the importance of our corporate relationships and was not intended to be shared publicly. The project has since been discontinued. A small group of customers were mentioned by name on this material and each has been contacted directly and we are working to address their concerns. The material has been taken down, and moving forward we will review and further restrict sharing of internal customer information to a strictly need-to-know audience.”
Other noteworthy statistics on the leaked signage stated that the routes between San Francisco and Shanghai is the airline’s “#1 market for Apple,” representing $35 million in annual revenue and 25% of the company’s annual spending. Part of that cost is comprised of 50 business-class seats per day on flights between Shanghai and San Francisco. The other nine destinations rounding out Apple’s Top 10 list include Hong Kong, Taipei, London, Seoul, Singapore, Munich, Tokyo Haneda, Beijing and Tel Aviv.
The vast majority of Apple’s products are manufactured in China, and the Asia destinations allow the tech giant’s employees to keep a close eye on its supply chain partners. Meanwhile, London is Apple’s largest non-manufacturing destination.
But don’t expect to find Apple CEO Tim Cook on board your next United flight. Cook flies private at the request of Apple’s board, according to Business Insider, and spent $294,082 on private air travel expenses in 2018.
According to the data, Apple beats out its next closest competitors by more than $100 million per year. Internet giants Facebook and Google, as well as healthcare company Roche, spend more than $34 million per year with United Airlines. Well-known consulting companies primarily fill out the $12-17 million bracket, while Intel, Visa and Chevron each spend between $10-12 million annually.
Featured photo by GREG BAKER/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees