Apple Is Reportedly Upgrading a Travel Tech Essential: AirPods
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Rumors are flying that Apple is preparing to release an upgraded version of AirPods, its wireless earbud product.
According to a new Bloomberg report that cites sources inside the tech company, Apple will release a new, higher-end version of AirPods, along with “studio-quality” over-the-ear headphones sometime in 2019.
An instant travel tech essential when they launched at the end of 2016, AirPods will reportedly see upgrades like a noise-cancelling feature and water resistance to help defend against rain and perspiration. Apple’s engineers are also trying to increase the range from iPhones and iPads the bluetooth earbuds work from and are working to create a portable charging case, like the long-rumored AirPower charger.
There is even some talk of a biometric component being added to monitor the user’s heart rate and other health data, similar to the Apple Watch.
A slightly updated version of the bluetooth earbuds are reportedly launching at the end of 2018 with a new wireless chip that will improve the bluetooth connection and allow users handsfree voice access to Siri. Previously, users had to click the side of the AirPod to activate the Siri function.
In addition to the new and improved AirPods, Apple is said to be launching an over-the-ear headphone, too, that will be a higher-end version of its Beats headphones on par with luxury brands like Bose.
Apple AirPods made TPG editors’ list of Must-Have Travel Items, with TPG Editor Nick Ellis saying: “I don’t fly anywhere without my new Apple AirPods. These headphones sound so much better than the earbuds you get in the box with your phone. Plus, I’ve found that they stay in my ears, even after a fitful half-sleep.”
AirPods currently sell for $159, but experts are predicting a significant markup for the tech accessory after the upgrade.
Featured image courtesy of Apple.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.