Apple Is Reportedly Upgrading a Travel Tech Essential: AirPods
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Rumors are flying that Apple is preparing to release an upgraded version of AirPods, its wireless earbud product.
According to a new Bloomberg report that cites sources inside the tech company, Apple will release a new, higher-end version of AirPods, along with “studio-quality” over-the-ear headphones sometime in 2019.
An instant travel tech essential when they launched at the end of 2016, AirPods will reportedly see upgrades like a noise-cancelling feature and water resistance to help defend against rain and perspiration. Apple’s engineers are also trying to increase the range from iPhones and iPads the bluetooth earbuds work from and are working to create a portable charging case, like the long-rumored AirPower charger.
There is even some talk of a biometric component being added to monitor the user’s heart rate and other health data, similar to the Apple Watch.
A slightly updated version of the bluetooth earbuds are reportedly launching at the end of 2018 with a new wireless chip that will improve the bluetooth connection and allow users handsfree voice access to Siri. Previously, users had to click the side of the AirPod to activate the Siri function.
In addition to the new and improved AirPods, Apple is said to be launching an over-the-ear headphone, too, that will be a higher-end version of its Beats headphones on par with luxury brands like Bose.
Apple AirPods made TPG editors’ list of Must-Have Travel Items, with TPG Editor Nick Ellis saying: “I don’t fly anywhere without my new Apple AirPods. These headphones sound so much better than the earbuds you get in the box with your phone. Plus, I’ve found that they stay in my ears, even after a fitful half-sleep.”
AirPods currently sell for $159, but experts are predicting a significant markup for the tech accessory after the upgrade.
Featured image courtesy of Apple.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees