See if you’re eligible for Apple’s new TSA-approved digital driver’s license
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 9/1/21: Digital ID functionality isn’t available just yet — once states begin enabling access, iPhone owners will need to update their device to iOS 15 before adding an electronic version of their state identification or driver’s license.
Big news for iPhone owners in a handful of U.S. states: This week, Apple began rolling out support for digital versions of driver’s licenses and state IDs, letting states begin the process of enabling eligible customers to access and display their identification via the Wallet app.
Once participating states flip the switch, iPhone owners with IDs issued by Arizona and Georgia will be able to add their documents first, with the service rolling out to customers in Connecticut, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Oklahoma and Utah soon.
While the new option isn’t yet live, even for ID holders in Arizona and Georgia, once it’s available you’ll be able to head over to the Wallet app and hit the “+” in the top right to begin the process. You’ll be prompted to scan your physical ID card and take a selfie. After your state approves your digital ID, it’ll be available in your Apple Wallet.
Best of all, the Transportation Security Administration is onboard — you’ll be able to display your digital ID at checkpoints across the U.S. “This new and innovative mobile driver’s license and state ID initiative with Apple and states around the country will enable a more seamless airport security screening experience for travelers,” TSA administrator David Pekoske said in Apple’s press release.
To pull up your digital identification at a checkpoint, you’ll open the Wallet app and select your ID. After authenticating via Face ID or Touch ID, you’ll be able to display your ID and present it to the TSA officer.
Android users will have to wait a bit longer for OS-based support, but some states already issue their own digital wallets. For example, Louisiana’s “LA Wallet” app supports Android and iOS, lets drivers access a digital version of their license that’s accepted by businesses and law enforcement, and can be renewed electronically.
Featured image courtesy of Apple.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees