Amtrak suspends Acela service, scales back network in response to coronavirus
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Amtrak announced this weekend that it would temporarily suspend Acela service on the Northeast Corridor between Boston and Washington, citing a significant reduction in demand for service as a result of coronavirus.
Only slower, Northeast Regional trains will continue operating on the popular route for business travelers, and even those will only cover about 40% of the usual schedule, according to the railroad.
A number of other routes will also have service reduced or suspended. Those changes include the railroad temporarily stopping all service to Canada.
Amtrak suspended nonstop Acela service between New York and Washington in a previously-announced service cut, and also said it would scale back some onboard services, including closing the café car on some trains.
For more on the coronavirus outbreak, see:
- Lessons from lockdown: What it’s like in Spain during the mandatory quarantine right now
- Myth-busting: Will a face mask keep you safe from viruses on a plane?
- How coronavirus has left the travel industry reeling
- How coronavirus is impacting airline award availability
- No travel required: 10 iconic museums you can tour online
Featured photo by Robert Nickelsberg/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.