Amtrak curtails service amid coronavirus
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Amtrak is joining airlines and other transportation companies by adjusting its service in response to reduced demand as the coronavirus outbreak continues in the U.S.
The railroad will be slashing service on the Northeast Corridor between Boston and Washington by as much as 60%, it announced Monday evening. Amtrak had already suspended nonstop Acela service between New York and Washington as part of its earliest coronavirus-related cuts, and now additional service will be pared from the company’s Northeast Regional and Amtrak schedules.
A number of other routes will be operated with reduced frequency, and Amtrak will temporarily suspend all service to Canada beginning Tuesday. On Wednesday and Thursday, the railroad will begin scaling back service in Pennsylvania. And the Winter Park Express in Colorado is now suspended for the remainder of the season.
In addition to schedule changes, Amtrak is altering onboard service offerings on some trains, including suspending café car service on some trains between Washington and New York.
Amtrak has waived change fees on all existing and new reservations made before April 30. The railroad is still charging fare differences for modified reservations, which can be done online. The company is also offering refunds, but those must be processed over the phone.
Featured photo by Curtis Tate/MCT/Tribune News Service via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees