Amtrak service to Vermont is restarting: Here’s how you can ride for $1
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you plan to travel to Vermont soon, you can finally take the train again.
Amtrak’s two services to Vermont — the Ethan Allen Express and the Vermonter — will both restart daily service on July 19. The Ethan Allen Express offers service between New York and Rutland, Vermont, and the Vermonter offers service between Washington, D.C., and St. Albans, Vermont.
All train service to Vermont was suspended in March 2020 and has been closed ever since — so July 19 will be the first time in almost 1.5 years that passengers can travel by train again to the Green Mountain State.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
There will be various events around Vermont to celebrate the resumption of service. In both Rutland and St. Albans on the morning of July 19, there will be a kickoff event with local leaders and even some Amtrak officials. All other stations in Vermont were given $500 each in financial support for first-day festivities, as reported by Valley News, so there will be interesting and unique celebrations at each stop.
Discounted fares on Vermont trains
To further celebrate the restoration of train service to the state, all fares for trains within Vermont will be $1 on July 19 when you use the promo code “V102″ or book through this link. This is a great way for those in the area to take a quick ride to a neighboring town. Return shuttle service will be provided for those taking advantage of the $1 tickets.
Additionally, if you book by July 15 and travel by Sept. 6, you can receive a 50% discount on select train routes to and from Vermont. This discount is eligible for coach-class tickets only. No promo code is needed — the discount will automatically apply on eligible routes.
One of the routes eligible for a discount is between New Haven, Connecticut, and anywhere in Vermont. For example, instead of costing $34 to travel on the 3.5-hour hop from New Haven to Brattleboro, Vermont, it only costs $17 on most dates through Sept. 6.
So, take advantage of the resumption of Vermont’s train service. Fares are cheap, and the train offers a great way to explore the state.
Featured photo by Brianna Soukup/Portland Press Herald via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees