Amtrak extends points expiration, continues to pause its waiver of change fees
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Maintaining elite status has been on frequent travelers’ minds since the coronavirus pandemic started ravaging the travel industry in early 2020. Amtrak — the national rail service of the U.S. — started waiving change fees and extended the validity of points, coupons and elite status early in 2020. Some of these extensions were initially set to expire in late 2020. But, Amtrak has extended some of its temporary measures several times now.
Yesterday, TPG senior reporter Victoria M. Walker noticed Amtrak is now waiving all change fees for reservations made by Sept. 6, 2021. So, today I’ll discuss this extension and other ways the train operator is currently responding to the coronavirus pandemic to help Amtrak loyalists.
Get the latest points, miles and travel news by signing up for TPG’s free daily newsletter.
Amtrak elite status extended until February 2022
Amtrak is extending elite status for all Select, Select Plus and Select Executive members through Feb. 28, 2022. This extension applies to all Amtrak Guest Rewards members that currently hold Amtrak elite status, and there is no need to enroll or contact Amtrak to take advantage of the extension.
Amtrak extended all elite status benefits through this date. This includes annual upgrade certificates, companion passes and lounge passes. In addition, elite members are eligible to receive their status tier’s annual allotment in 2021, regardless of how many tier-qualifying points they earned in 2020.
Points won’t expire until September 15, 2021
In April, Amtrak announced that all Amtrak Guest Rewards points, upgrade coupons and companion coupons will have their expiration paused until Sept. 25, 2020. Then, Amtrak extended this pause through Dec. 31, 2020. These extensions applied to all points and certificates regardless of how you earned them.
Amtrak allowed upgrade and companion coupons to begin expiring on Feb 28, 2021. So, if you had upgrade or companion coupons in your account, they may now be expired.
However, Amtrak has continued to pause points expiration through September 15, 2021. But, if you hold an Amtrak credit card, your points will not expire as long as your account is open. And you can extend your points expiration by 24 months when you earn at least one Amtrak point. The easiest way to earn a few Amtrak points is to make a purchase through the Amtrak shopping portal.
Change fees waived for tickets purchased by Sept. 6, 2021
Further, all Amtrak tickets purchased by Sept. 6, 2021, can be changed free of charge. This includes both cash fares and tickets booked with points. Just keep in mind that — despite Amtrak waiving change fees — you’re still responsible for paying a fare difference if your new ticket is more expensive.
These fees are waived for all new and existing Amtrak tickets so long as you purchase your tickets by Sept. 6, 2021. Amtrak customers can change their travel online, through the Amtrak app or by calling Amtrak at 800-872-7245. We recommend changing your itinerary online or through the app to avoid long hold times.
This is all-around great news for Amtrak travelers. In particular, it’s comforting to know that travelers can change any ticket purchased by Sept. 6, 2021, with no fee. Although fare differences may cause you to pay more to take a trip if you need to change, it’s nice to have this flexibility during these uncertain travel times.
Additional reporting by Ashley Onadele and Katie Genter.
Featured image by Katie Genter/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees