Amtrak extending points expiration, ‘actively evaluating’ elite status adjustments
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In an email to its members, Amtrak Guest Rewards shared a number of changes due to the global coronavirus outbreak. These changes come after Amtrak suspended a number of routes, including nonstop Acela service between New York City and Washington D.C. and all service to Canada.
In the email, Amtrak announced that it has paused expiration of Amtrak Guest Rewards points and all coupons — including companion passes, upgrade certificates and others — until Sept. 25, 2020. These changes are effective immediately and there’s no need to enroll or contact Amtrak.
Amtrak is also waiving change fees on all new and existing reservations with travel set to begin before May 31, 2020. Affected customers can change their travel online or through the Amtrak app, or by calling Amtrak at 800-872-7245. We highly recommend changing online or through the app to avoid long hold times.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Elite status changes are being evaluated
Additionally, Amtrak also stated that it’s “actively evaluating” changes to Tier Status. We’re hopeful that this means that an outright status extension will be announced in the near future — we’ll keep you updated when there’s more information to share.
Amtrak said the following regarding Tier Status:
“We know that Tier Status is important to you. We are actively evaluating potential adjustments for 2021 Tier Qualification and will keep you posted as details are confirmed.”
It’s nice to see Amtrak making positive changes to its loyalty program in response to the global coronavirus outbreak. Points and coupon extensions are a good start, and extending elite status for Amtrak’s most loyal customers would sweeten the deal even further for the company’s most loyal members. This is especially important as Amtrak positions itself as a worthy competitor to U.S. airlines in the Northeast Corridor.
As always, keep checking our coronavirus hub page for more info. We’ll keep you in the loop on how the outbreak is changing the travel world.
Featured photo courtesy of Amtrak.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees