Amsterdam’s Most Famous Photo Op Is Being Removed
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Did you even go to Amsterdam if you didn’t post a photo in front of the iconic “I amsterdam” sign? The 6-foot high, 77-foot long attraction is known for tourists climbing in, around and on top of its famous letters for the perfect picture. But soon, it will be missing from its spot in Museumplein. After more than a decade, the large letters will be removed on Monday, Dec. 3.
Overtourism is a major concern in Amsterdam. Almost 7 million tourists visited the Dutch city in 2017, a large amount for a small city with a population of just 850,000 people. The government had been on the fence on whether the removal of the sign would aid in combating the mass tourism the city has experienced. Back in October, Femke Roosma, leader of the GroenLinks group on the city council said “Iamsterdam stands for individualism while we want a city which stands for solidarity and diversity. In addition, the slogan reduces the city to the backdrop of a marketing story.”
More than a month later, the City of Amsterdam has now decided to remove the sign from its home in front of the Rijksmuseum. However, this isn’t the end for the sign or marketing slogan. Instead of being removed completely, the letters will travel to different locations throughout Amsterdam, which was actually the original plan for the popular attraction. The city’s goal is to “make Amsterdam larger” by distributing visitors more widely and encouraging repeat visitors to venture off to the new locations the sign will be placed.
“In consultation with city districts, cultural venues, residents and businesses, we will decide where the letters are to be located in future,” the tourism board noted on its website. Although there aren’t any new location plans set in stone, there is an alternative to get a selfie with the slogan in the meantime. There are two slightly smaller versions modeled after the original sign that tourists can still selfie with. One is located at Amsterdam’s Schipol Airport, and another set of letters, which already travels to different sites around Amsterdam, can currently be seen at the Student Hotel in Amsterdam West until Dec. 12.
The original sign will be placed into storage early next week while the city decides on where the letters will be displayed next. So don’t fret — It’s not a “goodbye,” but a “see you later.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.