Amsterdam’s Most Famous Photo Op Is Being Removed
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Did you even go to Amsterdam if you didn’t post a photo in front of the iconic “I amsterdam” sign? The 6-foot high, 77-foot long attraction is known for tourists climbing in, around and on top of its famous letters for the perfect picture. But soon, it will be missing from its spot in Museumplein. After more than a decade, the large letters will be removed on Monday, Dec. 3.
Overtourism is a major concern in Amsterdam. Almost 7 million tourists visited the Dutch city in 2017, a large amount for a small city with a population of just 850,000 people. The government had been on the fence on whether the removal of the sign would aid in combating the mass tourism the city has experienced. Back in October, Femke Roosma, leader of the GroenLinks group on the city council said “Iamsterdam stands for individualism while we want a city which stands for solidarity and diversity. In addition, the slogan reduces the city to the backdrop of a marketing story.”
More than a month later, the City of Amsterdam has now decided to remove the sign from its home in front of the Rijksmuseum. However, this isn’t the end for the sign or marketing slogan. Instead of being removed completely, the letters will travel to different locations throughout Amsterdam, which was actually the original plan for the popular attraction. The city’s goal is to “make Amsterdam larger” by distributing visitors more widely and encouraging repeat visitors to venture off to the new locations the sign will be placed.
“In consultation with city districts, cultural venues, residents and businesses, we will decide where the letters are to be located in future,” the tourism board noted on its website. Although there aren’t any new location plans set in stone, there is an alternative to get a selfie with the slogan in the meantime. There are two slightly smaller versions modeled after the original sign that tourists can still selfie with. One is located at Amsterdam’s Schipol Airport, and another set of letters, which already travels to different sites around Amsterdam, can currently be seen at the Student Hotel in Amsterdam West until Dec. 12.
The original sign will be placed into storage early next week while the city decides on where the letters will be displayed next. So don’t fret — It’s not a “goodbye,” but a “see you later.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees