Amex exec details the future of Resy, including exclusive dining access and events for cardholders
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you like to eat — and also hold a premium card such as The Platinum Card® from American Express — you’ll now receive special access to some of the world’s most sought-after restaurants.
For more TPG news and travel tips delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our free daily newsletter.
That access includes primetime tables at many of the most in-demand restaurants across the U.S. and internationally.
There is a wide array of participating establishments, from Carbone in New York and Miami to restaurants of Mike Solomonov in Philadelphia (Zahav, Abe Fisher, Laser Wolf) and Jose Andres in Washington D.C. (Jaleo DC, Bazaar Meat, Zaytinya, Oyamel Cocina Mexicana) — and many more.
The program also will allow cardholders to book high-profile chef dinners, curated culinary experiences, virtual cooking classes and pre-sales of Resy events.
Resy’s General Manager and Amex VP, Alex Lee, told TPG that Resy is planning a large-scale, multi-day event in New York this September. Lee teased that the event “will be a pop-up restaurant in an incredible location.”
More intimate events will occur in the Hamptons and Malibu, with a steady drumbeat of Global Dining Access events planned well into 2022.
Creating a self-service platform
Historically, card members booked restaurant reservations through the Amex Concierge. But that’s shifting.
Resy is a concierge of sorts — all in the palm of your hands. In addition to exclusive reservations, Global Dining Access perks include Priority Notify at all Resy’s 9,000+ restaurants.
It’s not just about premium cardholders
But it’s not just about cardholders of the Centurion Card from American Express and The Platinum Card from American Express, either. Resy is creating a concierge-like service for all Amex cardholders.
Resy gives all Amex customers, regardless of the card, presale access to Resy events. And those with the American Express® Gold Card have had exclusive benefits and access to events such as the Resy Drive-Thru — and those types of engagements will keep happening.
“We will continue to produce unique dining events [that] connect diners to Resy chefs and restaurants in a meaningful way, which is core to our brand and our mission,” Lee added.
Resy is going all-in with Amex two years after being acquired, elevating the issuer’s position in dining.
Chase is directly competing with Amex in this space with its Tock integration. Its Chase Dining program gives Ultimate Rewards-earning cardholders access to a unified platform with reservations, takeout, delivery and culinary events all in one place.
In 2021, Amex, Chase and others will continue to push to be a one-stop shop for travel, dining and lifestyle-like benefits — especially as we emerge from the worst of the pandemic.
Featured photo courtesy of Resy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees