How to make sure you’re getting your Amex Platinum Uber credits
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Your credit card benefits help offset the cost of the annual fee, but issuers don’t always make it easy to use these perks.
A prime example of a lucrative benefit is the up to $200 in annual Uber credits provided to cardholders of The Platinum Card® from American Express. This helps justify paying the Amex Platinum card’s $550 a year for the card (see rates and fees), which provides other great perks such as lounge access, up to a $200 annual airline credit and hotel elite status.
Amex Platinum cardholders also receive $15 in Uber credits every month except in December, when they get $35.
Amex Platinum Uber cash credit
In late 2018, Uber added an extra step that made redeeming your credits more difficult. In the past, credits would automatically be applied when taking a ride, but in October 2018, Uber started adding the credits to riders’ Uber Cash balance. Uber Cash consolidates all of your Uber credits in one place.
As TPG’s Zach Honig wrote in October:
“Those $15 in Amex credits are applied to your Uber Cash balance, and you need to manually select Uber Cash as your payment method in order to use your credits. If your overall balance isn’t high enough to cover the entire ride, you’ll be prompted to add credits to your account, or you can scroll down and select a card to cover just the remaining amount.”
How to get around the problem
To avoid this issue, you’ll want to select Uber Cash as your payment method before you order a car. Following these steps should ensure you’ll be able to use all of your Uber Cash:
- Select Uber Cash as your payment method
- Request a ride
- If your ride cost exceeds your balance, click “refill options” when prompted
- Add credit using a linked payment method, or select “just cover this trip”
If your Uber Cash balance isn’t enough to cover the ride, you can select a credit card to cover the remaining balance from the trip. Select “Just cover this trip” and then the remaining balance should be charged to a credit card of your choice.
Remember that the $15 credit is a “use it or lose it” benefit, meaning it won’t roll over into the next month.
The information for the Citi Premier card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Additional reporting by Jason Stauffer.
For rates and fees of the Amex Platinum, click here.
Featured image by studioEAST/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel. Starting January 1, 2021, earn 5X points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more when you select one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That’s up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees