This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Among the many benefits of holding The Platinum Card® from American Express is a lesser-known perk: complimentary unlimited Wi-Fi at over 1 million hotspots worldwide. Card holders need only head to the Amex portal at Boingo.com, punch in their Amex Platinum card number and register.
Come May 1, 2019, however, that perk is apparently going away.
Some Amex Platinum members are receiving a notification that the perk will be eliminated in a few short weeks, though anyone who signed up before Apr. 30, 2019 will maintain membership through the end of the year.
Effective May 1, 2019, Boingo Preferred Plan will no longer be a benefit on the Platinum Card®. Card Members who are enrolled in Boingo Preferred Plan as of 4/30/2019, will continue to have access to this benefit until 12/31/2019
Given that the closest non-Amex Boingo plan sells for $14.99 per month, losing access is a costly blow to those who used it frequently.
The Boingo perk was outstanding for those traveling abroad, where it can be tough and expensive to secure a local SIM card for mobile data. The Amex Boingo plan includes access on up to four devices, enabling a single card member to connect, for example, a laptop, tablet and a couple of phones. Boingo hotspots are found at hundreds of airports, thousands of hotels and on street corners the world over.
Boingo has partnerships with hot spot operators in the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific., including AT&T, Time Warner Cable (TWC), T-Mobile, Orange, BT Wi-Fi, NTT Docomo, Telin and China Mobile.
It appears that select HSBC Mastercard card holders in Argentina, China, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, United Arab Emirates and the United Kingdom will still have access to complimentary Boingo via a separate-but-similar partnership announced in 2017, though that benefit does not extend to Mastercard products in the United States.
As of now, Boingo Preferred membership is still included with the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card, as yours truly just received his new card and enrolled earlier this week. I have reached out to Amex to inquire whether this perk will remain on the Bonvoy Brilliant card and will update this post if I hear back.
Featured image by Isabelle Raphael for The Points Guy.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees