Use them or lose them: Amex Platinum and Amex Business Platinum shopping credits reset on July 1
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with the latest credit card information.
Part of maximizing the credit cards you carry is taking full advantage of the travel credits and other statement credits they may offer.
Want more credit card news and advice from TPG? Sign up for our daily newsletter!
It’s easy to carry the mindset of, “I’ll use that credit later,” and delay using your credits — but if you have The Platinum Card® from American Express or The Business Platinum Card® from American Express, you only have a few more days to make some purchases before your statement credits reset on July 1.
Your January through June statement credits (Saks Fifth Avenue credits for personal Platinum cardholders and Dell credits for U.S. purchases for Business Platinum cardholders) expire on July 1. So, let’s dive into these credits and how to use them before they reset.
Platinum Card: Saks Fifth Avenue credit
Along with many other benefits, the Amex Platinum — with its $695 annual fee (see rates and fees) — offers up to $100 in statement credits for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue or saks.com each year. However, these credits are doled out as up to $50 in statement credits from January through June and up to $50 in statement credits from July through December.
As we’re near the final days of this credit, you’ll want to purchase some items from Saks on your Platinum Card if you haven’t made any eligible purchases so far this year.
The first step is to register for the statement credits — or ensure that you are already registered — using this direct registration link. Do this before making your purchase. Then make your purchase using your Amex Platinum.
There are plenty of options that cost less than $50; here are some gift ideas to get started. Personally, I bought a new shirt with the $50 credit. To fully maximize your purchase, go through an online shopping portal — I suggest checking Evreward or Cashback Monitor to find the highest payout.
Business Platinum Card: Dell credit
The Business Platinum Card comes with up to $100 in statement credits between January and June and up to another $100 in statement credits between July and December for U.S. purchases with Dell on your card. Since we’re approaching the last day of June, be sure to take advantage before the credits reset. The annual fee for the Business Platinum Card is $595 (see rates and fees).
As with the Saks statement credit for the personal Platinum Card, you’ll need to register for the Dell statement credit (or ensure you are already registered) using this direct registration link. Be sure to register before making your purchase, and you may be able to earn some cash back or points by going through an online shopping portal.
Surprisingly, there are many sub-$200 items available on the Dell website — so you don’t need to purchase a new computer to benefit from this statement credit.
Additional reporting by Stella Shon.
Featured photo by John Greim/LightRocket/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees