Get up to $20 in statement credits on dining through these Amex Offers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you carry an American Express credit card, you have probably noticed the list of Amex Offers that appears at the bottom of the page when you log into your account online. These are basically discounts, statement credits and bonus earning opportunities that you can use to save money when paying for purchases with your card at participating merchants, such as clothing stores and fashion retailers, hotel chains, and restaurant groups. Before you can utilize an Amex Offer, you generally have to activate it on your account, so before paying for anything, be sure to do that.
Some of the best Amex Offers are ones that you can take advantage of on a monthly recurring basis, even if it’s just for a limited period of time. At the moment, certain airline and hotel cobranded cardholders have received one of those specifically for dining. Depending on which card you carry, you might be eligible to receive up to $5-$20 back in statement credits toward dining purchases, including takeout and delivery. Here are the details.
New to The Points Guy? Want to learn more about credit card points and miles? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
Amex Offers: Dining statement credit terms and timing
Like many other Amex Offers, the ones available in this instance contain specific language, requirements and conditions. To take an example, for a card with up to $20 in monthly statement credits, the terms read as follows:
“Enroll in this offer to earn a $20 statement credit each month you spend $20 or more on eligible U.S. restaurant purchases with your Card. Whether it’s dine-in, takeout or delivery, you can redeem this offer each month through December 2021. This is in addition to the points you already earn with your card. Terms apply.”
Whether your card is eligible for $5, $10, $15, or $20 monthly, these terms should be roughly the same. To take advantage of this offer, there are a few things to keep in mind.
- First, you have to actually enroll your card. This is as easy as logging into your card account, finding the offer, then clicking the “Add to Card” button.
- Second, you have to use your card for a restaurant purchase, though as the offer mentions, this includes takeout and delivery, so many services such as DoorDash, Grubhub, and Uber EATS will typically trigger the statement credit.
- Third, you have to spend $20 or more (or less, depending on which dollar amount your card is eligible for) each month to earn the full credit.
Finally, make sure you pay attention to the timing. Notice that the terms say “each month” and not each billing cycle or statement period. This means you could spend $20 on September 30 and get your $20 statement, then make another $20 restaurant charge on October 1, and be eligible for yet another $20 statement credit. On the flip side, if your billing date is in the middle of the month and you make dining purchases before and after it, don’t expect to get two separate statement credits in the same calendar month.
How long does it take Amex Offer statement credits to post?
Although some of these statement credits appear within a day or two, it can take several days for the statement credit to hit your account. TPG staffers report that most post within one to four days of the initial transaction, though there have been instances of it taking up to ten days.
Which Amex cards are currently offering dining statement credits?
After a quick poll of TPG staffers, we have found that folks with the following cards have been eligible to activate offers with the dollar amounts listed.
$5 per month
$10 per month
- Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card
- Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card
- Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card (no longer available to new applicants)
$15 per month
$20 per month
- Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card
- Hilton Honors Aspire American Express Card
- Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card
The information for the Hilton Aspire and Marriott Bonvoy Amex has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Amex Offers can be a great, easy way to save money on everyday purchases you make anyway. Cardholders with certain Delta, Marriott, and Hilton cobranded credit cards can now earn statement credits on dining by using their cards each month. But those are just some of the Amex Offers currently available to these cardholders, as well as folks with other Amex products. If you have an American Express card, be sure to check your specific offers and enroll in any that you can leverage to save money or earn bonus rewards.
Featured photo by The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees