Several new car rental Amex Offers now available, including Hertz and Avis
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: As the travel industry reopens following COVID-19 shutdowns, TPG suggests that you talk to your doctor, follow health officials’ guidance and research local travel restrictions before booking that next trip. We will be here to help you prepare, whether it is next month or next year.
If you need to rent a car for a socially distant vacation in the next few months and hold an American Express card, listen up: You may be able to save some serious cash on your next trip. Many American Express cardholders have reported they’ve been targeted for even more deep discounts at major car rental companies through the Amex Offers program.
That said, it’s important to note that the coronavirus pandemic continues across the U.S. and much of the world, and many states and countries continue to impose travel restrictions. However, several major car rental companies have offered status extensions for elite members and eliminated change fees.
Let’s take a look at the current offers across various Amex cards.
Sign-up for the TPG daily newsletter to get points and miles coverage like this delivered to your inbox!
I found this offer for $40 back after spending $200 or more at Hertz on my American Express® Green Card. Keep in mind that the offer is only valid for U.S. rentals and you must pick up and return your rental to Hertz locations only.
The information for the Amex Green Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
I discovered an Amex offer for a $20 statement credit after spending at least $100 at Avis Car Rental. Note that you must rent directly with Avis and the offer is valid only for rentals made through avis.com, the Avis app, by phone or at Avis locations in the U.S. and it’s territories.
Remember to avoid booking through a third party, like Expedia, or through travel agents as the offer won’t kick in. Keep in mind that the offer also excludes Budget & Payless brands, Chauffeur Drive, Car Sales, Scooter rentals, e-Toll and purchases with travel partners for lodging, airfare, ground transportation, or parking.
Another great offer, this time from Enterprise. You’ll get $40 back after spending $200 or more. It shouldn’t be too difficult to meet the spending requirements, especially if you’re booking for a week-long trip. For instance, I found a reservation for a full-size at JFK Airport for a week for just $290 a week, which meets the terms of the offer.
For those unfamiliar with Silvercar, it’s an app-based car rental service run by Audi. That being said, you know what type of car you’re getting each time you rent, so there are no surprises.
A $100 statement credit after spending at least $450 or more is a solid offer, but keep in mind it expires on Dec. 22, 2020.
Any of the above offers can only be added to one card per account holder. You’ll want to check all of your cards first to select the one that offers you the best return on the purchase.
Also, these are targeted offers, so you may not see them at all. If you do, I encourage you to add them right away, since these tend to have limited enrollment and may disappear before the expiration date. Also, only 100 Amex Offers will be visible at a time, so if you’re at capacity, add offers to your card to see if any new ones appear.
If you don’t have an American Express card and don’t want to miss out on future offers like these, consider adding The Platinum Card® from American Express to your wallet. The card offers a welcome bonus of 75,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in your first 6 months of Card Membership. You might even be eligible for a 100,000-point bonus offer using the CardMatch tool (offer subject to change at any time).
You’ll also receive 5x Membership Rewards points on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel. Starting Jan. 1, 2021, earn 5x points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year. Also, earn 5x points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel. As a Platinum cardholder, you’ll also receive complimentary Gold status with Marriott Bonvoy and Hilton Honors, so your stays could be even more rewarding.
If the Platinum Card isn’t for you, read our guide on choosing the best American Express card that suits your style.
Featured photo by Luke Sharrett/Bloomberg/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.