Several new car rental Amex Offers now available, including Hertz and Avis
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: As the travel industry reopens following COVID-19 shutdowns, TPG suggests that you talk to your doctor, follow health officials’ guidance and research local travel restrictions before booking that next trip. We will be here to help you prepare, whether it is next month or next year.
If you need to rent a car for a socially distant vacation in the next few months and hold an American Express card, listen up: You may be able to save some serious cash on your next trip. Many American Express cardholders have reported they’ve been targeted for even more deep discounts at major car rental companies through the Amex Offers program.
That said, it’s important to note that the coronavirus pandemic continues across the U.S. and much of the world, and many states and countries continue to impose travel restrictions. However, several major car rental companies have offered status extensions for elite members and eliminated change fees.
Let’s take a look at the current offers across various Amex cards.
Sign-up for the TPG daily newsletter to get points and miles coverage like this delivered to your inbox!
I found this offer for $40 back after spending $200 or more at Hertz on my American Express® Green Card. Keep in mind that the offer is only valid for U.S. rentals and you must pick up and return your rental to Hertz locations only.
The information for the Amex Green Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
I discovered an Amex offer for a $20 statement credit after spending at least $100 at Avis Car Rental. Note that you must rent directly with Avis and the offer is valid only for rentals made through avis.com, the Avis app, by phone or at Avis locations in the U.S. and it’s territories.
Remember to avoid booking through a third party, like Expedia, or through travel agents as the offer won’t kick in. Keep in mind that the offer also excludes Budget & Payless brands, Chauffeur Drive, Car Sales, Scooter rentals, e-Toll and purchases with travel partners for lodging, airfare, ground transportation, or parking.
Another great offer, this time from Enterprise. You’ll get $40 back after spending $200 or more. It shouldn’t be too difficult to meet the spending requirements, especially if you’re booking for a week-long trip. For instance, I found a reservation for a full-size at JFK Airport for a week for just $290 a week, which meets the terms of the offer.
For those unfamiliar with Silvercar, it’s an app-based car rental service run by Audi. That being said, you know what type of car you’re getting each time you rent, so there are no surprises.
A $100 statement credit after spending at least $450 or more is a solid offer, but keep in mind it expires on Dec. 22, 2020.
Any of the above offers can only be added to one card per account holder. You’ll want to check all of your cards first to select the one that offers you the best return on the purchase.
Also, these are targeted offers, so you may not see them at all. If you do, I encourage you to add them right away, since these tend to have limited enrollment and may disappear before the expiration date. Also, only 100 Amex Offers will be visible at a time, so if you’re at capacity, add offers to your card to see if any new ones appear.
If you don’t have an American Express card and don’t want to miss out on future offers like these, consider adding The Platinum Card® from American Express to your wallet. The card offers a welcome bonus of 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
You’ll also receive 5x Membership Rewards points on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel. Starting Jan. 1, 2021, earn 5x points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year. Also, earn 5x points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel. As a Platinum cardholder, you’ll also receive complimentary Gold status with Marriott Bonvoy and Hilton Honors, so your stays could be even more rewarding.
If the Platinum Card isn’t for you, read our guide on choosing the best American Express card that suits your style.
Featured photo by Luke Sharrett/Bloomberg/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees